We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks in Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manly, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
3 weeks in Paris

I'm a 61 years "young" female, just retired and ready to travel. I'll be travelling by myself and in the past have travelled overseas extensively but mainly on 4 week holidays. This time I'm thinking of renting an apartment in Paris for 3 weeks to soak up the atmosphere in late November. I've found many sites but I can't decide on which arrondissement but I'm thinking any between 1 to 10 would be suitable. I love to walk however it would be nice to be close to metro. I also need to be close to local cafes, produce to enable me to enjoy the local lifestyle. I would also like to be able to undertake "day trips" on the train to other sights. Should I put off going until March because the weather would be nicer? Any advice would be appriciated? Thanks in advance, Carolyn

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
20,957 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks in Paris

For soaking up local atmosphere, I think it's best to be away from "tourist central", but with convenient transportation nearby, along with cafes, supermarket, patisserie, etc., within steps rather than blocks.

No location is particularly convenient for day trips as all require departing from the various stations.

You might want to check the most recommended apartment resources for properties within your budget (Paris Best Lodge, France for Rent, Vacation in Paris, if your budget is generous Paris Perfect).

Note, however, that with properties rented directly through owners through resources such as Homelidays, VRBO, there's a often a lower weekly rate for stays longer than two weeks.

Why not choose a month with more pleasant weather? Mid-late April is respendent with spring bulbs and flowering trees and typically much warmer than November or March (which are often chilly/rainy, gray/dreary).

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks in Paris

We ordered this book From AmazonUK

https:/…

Had lots of good suggestions for daytrips from Paris.

Has free delivery to Australia at the moment if you bump the order up to 25 pounds. Perhaps a couple of Paris guidebooks as well?

ireland
Level Contributor
975 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks in Paris

The Book Depository has the same book, cheaper price, and they always deliver free.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,031 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks in Paris

one thing to consider - an apartment will cost the same for 3 weeks or for a month -- so you might want to do a month since you are retired. and if you avoid Christmas/New Years which is the highest season for rentals, you may get a better rate because of the time of year.

when you are there for several weeks location to center is less important -- the local neighborhood is very important. two agencies we have dealt with for places in Montmartre are feelslikehomeinparis.com and perfectlyparis.com. They have some lovely places in the more charming part of Montmartre e.g. around metro Lamarck Caulaincourt.

It is fun to spend real time in Paris and sort of live as you would at home - shopping in the markets, making the early morning run to the bakery for fresh croissant or baguette and exploring the city. Paris is also a great winter city with so many great indoor attractions for those dark gloomy rainy days of November. (or so I assume of November -- we will be there October and November this year and find out)

the recommendation for 'An Hour from Paris' is great -- we did many of the trips in the book last summer and wrote about some of them on www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Edited: 06 July 2011, 14:18
Puget Sound
Level Contributor
908 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 weeks in Paris

I spent a month in an apartment in the 6th last summer. It being so central, I was able to "day-walk" to all 20 Districts. So as one who enjoys walking, you might want to consider this approach. On days where other transportation sounds appealing, the 6th is very well served by the Metro. Yes, it is more touristed than the outlying areas -- but the history, cafes, and vibrant pulse make up for it IMO.

The advice given above re staying a month rather than three weeks is valid. My apartment was 900 euros a week, or 2300 for a month. Hmmmm...let me see now.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 weeks in Paris

I agree that an apartment in a less touristy area of Paris would make more sense for a monthlong stay. You might consider the 11th or 12th. I love parts of both of them for the neighborhood-like atmosphere, their proximity to great markets, store, cafés and restaurants. My favorite is in the triangular area roughly between Bastille and Gare de Lyon and the Ledru Rollin Métro stop. Others have their favorite areas. But I'd actually choose to stay away from the 1-8 arrondissements. Again, that's just me.

Btw, the book Janet mentioned is called One Hour From Paris and is by Annabel Simms. It's a terrific resource for easy day trips from central Paris by train. Sarastro, a frequent contributor here also has a great list in this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k43333…

Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 weeks in Paris

Turnbo , I have just spent a month in Paris and had the most wonderful time.

I did so much research before my visit which enriched it so much.

Janets reccomendation of One Hour From Paris is a good one, in fact Janets blogs were a great inspiration to me.....Thank you

After much trawling of the net and all the different agencies, I stayed in Ile Saint Louis and was delighted with my choice. It was very central and I walked and explored so many areas from there and it was a beautiful area to return to every evening. Very lively with the buskers on the bridge behind Notre Dame and people out in the street.

I stayed in a quiet side street in a lovely 1 bedroom apartment .

my-apartment-in-paris.com/en/…ref-T04367

The rate for a month is a reduced rate but you do have to pay electricity and cleaning as an extra.

This agency were helpful and good to deal with.

There were a number of close metros and also the area had a fabulous butcher and a number of bakeries, a couple of little supermarkets and some larger ones a short walk down to the Marais.

My favourite street market was rue Mouffetard which was about a 10 minute walk. Its , I thought it was the best of the street markets , and I visited a number.

I timed my trip for the last 2 weeks in May and the first 2 weeks in June as I dont like the cold or the heat . I was very happy with my choice and had very mild weather and enjoyed the Spring flowers and minimal crowds(especially the May 2 weeks)

Everyone has there own individual tastes on all the areas I touched on. However that was my contribution.

Have fun planning your trip.

Edited: 06 July 2011, 19:50
Manly, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 weeks in Paris

Don't you just love Tripadvisor! Once again, I have been given so much good advice and I will definitely buy that book. Thank you everyone. Now back to more research!! I will probably change my time to April/May instead of November. Turnbo

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,056 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 weeks in Paris

It's pretty hard to find a neighborhood in Paris that isn't near a metro or cafes -- Paris is more a cluster of small villages that just happen to make up a city than it is a city like the rest of the world knows (with a business district and a shopping district, etc.).

Another vote for An Hour from Paris -- we keep it on hand and we're close enough to drive to all the places listed.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 weeks in Paris

Consider going further afield.

In May, I recently did a day-trip to Strasbourg. Yes, it was a long day, but I got to see a very different part of France I had not seen to date.

I realise the days will be much shorter but given you are going in late November, you may be lucky to see the Christmas Markets. It starts on the 26th November this year. See www.noel.strasbourg.eu/index.php…

And if you do go to the Christmas market, I would like to be rewarded for my suggestion with a trip report and accompanying photos. :-)