We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to get a SIM card for an iPhone and Blackberry

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Hartford...
Level Contributor
220 posts
217 reviews
Save Topic
Where to get a SIM card for an iPhone and Blackberry

We have two unlocked phones: an iPhone 4 (unlocked by Apple) and a Blackberry.

We will be in London prior to coming to Paris and am planning on getting O2 SIM cards and "pay as you go" plans there. I want to get something similar in Paris, but haven't been able to find any English sites that made any sense.

I will be arriving at Gare Nord and will be staying in the Marais area.

Can somebody suggest a carrier and/or location where I can get SIMS and plans for both phones?

thanks,

bert

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
220 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to get a SIM card for an iPhone and Blackberry

A couple of important points I left out (can't figure out how to edit posts!):

1. I need data on the iPhone and would like it on the Blackberry. At least 500mb

2. I will be in Paris for about 8 days

thanks,

bert

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,675 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to get a SIM card for an iPhone and Blackberry

Orange has what you need: http://tinyurl.com/patw3d

There are many phone outlets in Paris... every block has one. Look for PhoneHouse who are about the biggest.

BTW... you can hit the "Preview" button to edit but only for about 5 minutes or until there's another post.

Edited: 07 July 2011, 02:04
Marina del Rey...
Level Contributor
130 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to get a SIM card for an iPhone and Blackberry

I was hoping to find an unlimited data plan in France as well for $100-200 so I can use the data for maps and such, all the above links is showing is voice plan and the internet is very limited 10-200 MB!!, you can use this in an hour or less, don't the French have similar system like us without yearly plan, I for example have an unlimited data/voice/texts with ATT and pay like $130/month without contract and I can cancel any time without paying penalty.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,675 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to get a SIM card for an iPhone and Blackberry

If you find such a thing please let us know!

Marina del Rey...
Level Contributor
130 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to get a SIM card for an iPhone and Blackberry

Are you saying people in Europe don't have such a thing?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,675 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to get a SIM card for an iPhone and Blackberry

I have never heard of a plan like that available to a tourist on a pay as you go basis. It doesn't mean such a thing doesn't exist though.

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
220 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to get a SIM card for an iPhone and Blackberry

One of my "perceived" issues is that I don't speak much beyond high-school French, and suspect it will be hard to communicate exactly what I want in a French telcom store.

One option I just found is lefrenchmobile.com/en/order-sim-card-for-fra… - this is a French company, but they communicate in English, albeit a heavy French accent.

You basically buy their SIM card for €29 (which includes €15 credit) and put it in your phone. WHen you get to France, you make a call which starts the account and you then get a text message with your phone number. You can then "top off" the account by adding money which goes towards voice/text/data, in whatever combination you use. A €40 top-off gives you up to voice, text and data (up to 83mb) combined.

The only advantage I think is that they speak English. I only found one review (frommers.com/community/….1), but it wasn't very complimentary. Not sure if it's a reasonable option. Apparently the carrier is Bouygtel.

bert

Edited: 07 July 2011, 20:51
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,494 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to get a SIM card for an iPhone and Blackberry

I have never seen a French data plan that offered unlimited download without a 12 or 24 month commitment. The plans offered by Orange, Bouygues and SFR all have limits. Voice plans can be very inexpensive in France (Lebara for example) but data is still rather expensive for those who want it.

9. Re: Where to get a SIM card for an iPhone and Blackberry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 20:15