We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TGV booking as US citizen

boston
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
TGV booking as US citizen

I have searched around and can't seem to find an answer for both of my concerns.

1. As a USA passport holder, will I encounter any issues with a ticket purchased from the TGV-europe website with a selected "ticket collection country" other than the USA? I know if I select USA I get bumped to the raileurope website. But if I buy the ticket after selecting Great Britain will I have any problems using the ticket once in France?

2. One of the tickets I will be buying will be for a 21 year old, can I buy a fare for a 26-59 year old and use it with a person younger than that age range?

I plan on buying all of these train tickets from the US before leaving for Europe. My only concern is I buy these tickets now, then when I get to France I am told I can't use them for one of the reasons I have written above.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
490 reviews
from US$73.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$109.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.80*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.60*
US$335.10
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TGV booking as US citizen

1. No

2. Yes

More and more tickets can be printed at home. If you do choose to collect tickets at a station in France, be SURE to bring the very same credit card with you used to book the tickets.

And, be sure to phone your credit card company ahead of any transactions so they can remove the fraud protection and the transaction will be successful.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,183 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TGV booking as US citizen

I have put together notes on how to buy online at www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TGV booking as US citizen

1. No, absolutely no problem.

2. If there is an "adult" fare, e.g. a PREM'S fare, that is cheaper than the "youth" fare you can certainly buy it for the 21 year old and again you will not have an issue.

boston
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: TGV booking as US citizen

Wow, that was quick. Thanks a lot everyone, this is what I figured but couldn't find my specific questions asked anywhere else in previous threads.

I'll book my train tickets with confidence now!

California, USA
Level Contributor
463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TGV booking as US citizen

Nick! I used your site a few days ago to help buy my very first TGV tickets. It was a godsend!

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TGV booking as US citizen

Your site was a great resource for me too, Nick- thank you!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,183 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TGV booking as US citizen

I had to buy TGV tickets online for myself earlier this year, after my travel agent wanted $120 for Paris-Avignon which I knew I could get for €22. I put some effort into working out how the tgv-europe site worked, so I then thought I might as well share it.

I am glad to know that people find it helpful.

warren, nj
Level Contributor
310 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TGV booking as US citizen

i saw on a different post that you can take a TGV train from paris to Reims to tour champagne houses. is this something that makes sense to do on my own with my 30 year old daughter or should i take a guided tour to Loire Valley for wine tasting -round trip from paris. the price of Loire Valley tour seemed steep about $250. per person. would there be a guide in Reims that i could pre book to take us around. any suggestions would be appreciated. we'd love to see vinyards and taste wine, but don't want to overspend unless it's really really worth it. thanks!

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,372 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: TGV booking as US citizen

leslie, suggest you post this as a separate topic, in order to get the answers you want.

10. Re: TGV booking as US citizen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 22:19