We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris - Normandy by train

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Paris - Normandy by train

How is the train from Paris to Normandy? Any suggestions?

Going next spring. Thanks.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris - Normandy by train

Don't know what you mean by "how is the train." It's a simple 2 hour trip from Gare St. Lazare to either Caen or Bayeux if you want to vist the D-day beach area.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris - Normandy by train

It's a pleasant ride and we took the train after an early morning arrival at CDG. If you want info on how we did this via public transportation, let me know. If the Normandy trip is at the start of your travels, you don't want to attempt the drive to Normandy after an overnight flight from the US. The consensus here has been that the train will get you to your destination faster and more comfortably than driving no matter when you might be making the journey.

For schedules, go to TGV-Europe:

http://www.tgv-europe.com/en/

and, follow the directions here.

www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

Pay attention to the details here, especially as they apply to US travelers.

Have a great trip!

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris - Normandy by train

The train is a regional train, not a TGV, but it is quite comfortable. The train we took made only one stop (in Caen) between Paris and Bayeux, where we got off.

Groves, Texas
Level Contributor
896 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris - Normandy by train

We got off in Bayeux and stayed at the hotel Churchill for an Overlord D-Day Invasion tour. The train was easy and comfortable.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris - Normandy by train

The TGV link shows the routes to Bayeux, and some routes are direct while others have stops along the way. IMO, TGV-Europe is the best site for US travelers to use, but avoid Rail Europe and follow Nick's instructions for how to purchase and receive your tickets. In translation and on US computers, SNCF defaults to Rail Europe where fares are more expensive and don't include all routes. The same happens when US travelers use "USA" as their home country on the TGV link.

Edited: 10 July 2011, 02:55
Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris - Normandy by train

Thank you. Good info. We are thinking of staying in Paris first, then doing the last 2 nights in Normandy. Just trying to figure out if we will make it back to CDG for our 11:15 AM flight in the morning. I'll check schedules. Would it be advisable to go to Normandy first maybe? This is our first time to France.

Thanks for the help.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,728 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris - Normandy by train

Yes, go to Normandy first. Its not a great idea to count on a train getting you to the airport on time.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris - Normandy by train

I agree with phread about putting your Normandy trip first. I wouldn't risk something going on wrong on a journey back to Paris to catch a flight. We traveled St. Lazare after an early morning arrival in Paris, and how we did this and the rest of our trip is on this link. It was easy and comfortable. The French are known to stage strikes from time to time, and some of these are short and others go on longer. It's very disruptive when the strikes occur during your travel time, but they're usually announced in advance. At the beginning of your trip, you can adjust for anything, but it's costly to miss a flight home.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187179-i607-k4177…

Here is a collection of links and other info that might be helpful in planning your trip to Bayeux and the D Day sites:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187179-i607-k4629…

Ignore the parts that don't apply to your trip. I've just put all the information I know in one place so I don't leave anything out or write the same things on multiple posts.

Have a great trip!

9. Re: Paris - Normandy by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 11:19