We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback on my honeymoon itinerary?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Feedback on my honeymoon itinerary?

I'm planning my honeymoon to Paris (Sept 28-October 8). My itinerary is still very preliminary, but I'd appreciate any feedback -- glaring holes, misallocations, etc. Many of the events listed under each day aren't in any particular order yet. Also, I'm not sure about what to do for a day trip outside of Paris. I feel like we should go to Versailles, but it looks so touristy and I've read so many mixed reviews. A less traveled trip to one of the many country spots outside the city seems more appealing. Any way, any and all comments appreciated! Thanks!

----------

WED. SEPTEMBER 28

-arrive, noon

-2PM Hotel Le Six

[14, rue Stanislas, 75006 Paris, France]

Check out Luxembourg Quarter?

-St-Sulpice & Place-St-Sulpice

-Fontaine Medicis

-Jardin du Luxembourg

-Early Dinner

-7pm Night Bike Tour [BOOKED]

-----------

THURS. SEPTEMBER 29

MONTPARNASSE

-Catacombes (get there before it opens)

-Montparnasse Cemetery

Quartier Latin

-Blvd St-Michel (shopping, strolling)

-St-Severin

-Panthéon [*M*]

-Sorbonne

-Shakespeare & Co

St-Germain-Des-Pres

-Musee d'Orsay [*M*] (We could visit this museum after an early dinner because it's open until 9:45)

-Boulevard St-Germain

-----------

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 30:

-Jardin des Tuileries

-Musee du Louvre [*M*] open til 10 on Fridays (we could visit this after an early dinner); Entry using pass by way of the “Passage Richelieu” (between the Place du Palais Royal and the Cour de la Pyramide).

-Palais Royal

-Musee de l'Orangerie [*M*]

-Place de la Concorde

--Arc de Triomphe [*M*] (This is in Champs Elysees)

-----------

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 1

-Notre-Dame [*M*]

-Sainte-Chapelle [*M*]

-Crypte Archeologique [*M*]

-Conciergerie [*M*]

-COOKING CLASS?? http://www.lacuisineparis.com

-NIGHT TIME BOAT TRIP???

-----------

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 2ND:

Invalides & Eiffel Tower

-Rue Cler (shopping; people watching) (only 8:30-12 on Sunday)

-The Rodin museum [*M*]

-Eiffel Tower 9:30-10:30Pm; daily [NEED TO BUY TICKETS. BEST TO GO AT NIGHT OR DAY?]

-Dome Church

Need to find a good Sunday market -Richard Lenoir market?

[WALK THROUGH OTHER NEIGHBORHOODS?]

-----------

MONDAY, OCTOBER 3RD:

The Marais

-Rue de Rosiers

-Place des vosges

-Marais Walk

-Canal-St. Martin walk (p.260), adjacent to Marais

-do the walk at Butte Chamont!!

Beaubourg And Les Halles/

-Pompidou Center [*M*] 11-9pm

-St. Eustache (really cool looking Gothic/Renaissance church)

----------

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 4th:

LONDON DAY TRIP! [BOOKED]

----------

WED. OCTOBER 5th:

-shopping

-shopping

-Jim Morrison cemetery (Cimetiere du Pere Lachaise)

-shopping

----------

----------

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 6th

Montmarte

-9AM baking class cook'n with class [BOOKED]

-90 min planned walk through Monmarte

-Dali Museum ($15/person)

-Place du Tertre?

-Sacre-Coeur

-Moulin Rouge (shows at 9 and 11)

-Museum of Erotic Art

-Pig Alley

----------

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 7th:

-day trip? (I feel compelled to go to Versailles, but I'd really prefer one of the less touristy places in the hour from paris book)

----------

----------

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 8th

-DEPARTURE (flight at 12:25)

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,985 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback on my honeymoon itinerary?

Some of your days--especially Thursday--seem very, very full. Monday, also, is very busy--plus, the term "The Marais" is applied to a very large area, so canal St Martin is not conveniently "adjacent."

At this point, you seem dedicated to seeing many areas of Paris (which I think is GREAT), but if that truly is your priority, I frankly see no room for another day trip (in addition to London). Instead, you'll need to use your Fri Oct 7 in the city itself because there's no way you'll accomplish this list without it.

Also, you could consider slowing down in each area you list. Rather than schedule a day for shopping, consider that each area you visit HAS places to shop if you just slow down and go into them. Montmartre, the Marais, St Germain (which you skip except to walk down Bl St Germain)--all offer shopping. This is the type of thing you do along the way. (Rather than, "No shopping today--stay out of there because we're headed to the Place des Vosges! Today isn't our shopping day!")

With that in mind, i think you could reschedule things a bit and make better use of your Sat and Sun. Instead of asking about a special day/place for a market, choose to see a market in the morning and then plan your day around the area it's in. There are many examples of how this can be done because there are markets all over. Sunday, you might choose to see the market street rue des martyrs because it is pedestrian only on Sunday--from there walk to Montmartre and make Sunday your Montmartre day. Or, since you've found an interest in seeing St Eustache, plan a visit to rue Montorgueil around that.

Things need to be integrated--enjoy the living city.

Friday and saturday nights should be enjoyed--get out there! If you want to see Canal St martin, plan an evening out! Same with St Germain, Latin Qtr. Get out to the Bastille area! The Seine cruise can be done any time--don't waste a good Saturday night on it.

Overall, enjoy looking around, wandering, exploring. See the major sites, but understand that smaller things will unfold around you and allow time for them.

BC
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback on my honeymoon itinerary?

I don't know if its too late, but I wonder if you want to consider moving your bike tour to another night? The first night we arrived we were dead tired - but then we are on the west coast, so bigger time difference. That said, you may want to consider it will probably take you a couple of days before you are truly over the jet lag.

Also keep in mind that I believe the Fat tire bike tours (if thats what they are called) do a boat cruise as part of the night tour. Looked like everyone was having fun!

We did a boat tour right near dusk (almost 10pm in late June) and it was absolutely beautiful- best time to do it in my opinion. The eiffel tower was lit up, and we turned the corner just as it started sparkling.

Everyone is different, but if it were my honeymoon I would take more time to relax and sit at cafes and watch Paris go by.

Either way, you'll have fun- its an absolutely beautiful city- especially at night.

BC
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback on my honeymoon itinerary?

Almost forgot: keep in mind that proper dinner service doesn't typically start 'til 7:30pm. That said, you can certainly go to a cafe earlier and get a dinner salad/ etc.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
107 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback on my honeymoon itinerary?

Looks good. My wife and I did the same thing in 07 for our 10 year anniversery and managed to see almost all of what you have in about 5 days. That included a trip to versaille.

I would probably skip the dinner at Moulin Rouge as it is fairly pricey and from what we had read very touristy.

The bike tour on your arrival day seems ambitious. Especially if you have been partying it up at your wedding and then have the flight and time change/jet lag to deal with.

The night time boat on the Seine is ok. We got are passes comped for us at our hotel. Not worth it if you have to pay. By that time you will have seen most of the sites up close at street level and all the cruise does is give you the perspective from river level. Money would be better spent at a nice restaraunt.

Have fun!

Baltimore
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback on my honeymoon itinerary?

Great comments so far! Thanks so much. Keep 'em coming!

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feedback on my honeymoon itinerary?

I disagree with post #1 in the sense that we were able to do everything you have planned on your Thursday in 1 day (plus more!).

It is entirely possible to do the things you have planned that Thursday. It looks like a lot written down on paper, but in reality some of the things you will only walk by and pass (sorbonne), and other things won't take long (for us it wasn't THAT long spent in the Pantheon and not long in St. Sulpice.

In fact, depending on your travel style and how fast you like to move... you may have more open time to just sit at a cafe, wander, or squeeze in another museum or sight you hadn't planned on seeing. Being flexible certainly helps, and as another trip planner who just got back from their first time trip in Paris.... your schedule looks great and similar to the things we did.

We loved going to the Louvre when it was open later (even though the biggies were still swamped with people). Instead of going to the Orsay after dinner, go before. Maybe at 5 or 5:30.

As someone else said... you'll find dinner service a lot of places starting at 7:30. Some touristy places will serve before then... but we usually didn't even think about going out and finding a place for dinner until 7:30. If the place was popular, and it was before 8 or 8:30... we never had trouble getting a table. of course, our experiences may not be yours. :-)

Paris is very walkable, and we chose to walk almost everywhere except some of the longer distances :-)

I hear Giverny is a nice day trip. Not as touristy as Versailles, but still touristy.

We went to Versailles and the palace was the most crowded thing we saw in a near month in Italy & France. But once we got out into the gardens, the grand canal, etc. it was less crowded. There was no one when we got to Marie Antoinette's village. :-)

Have fun on your trip - and congratulations!

Edited: 11 July 2011, 22:04
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
819 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feedback on my honeymoon itinerary?

Sounds very nice.

Friday: You can combine sites; If you walk from Louvre all the way to Arc de Triomphe you'll cover many of the sights and parks along it. You can also use metro line 1 which takes you from Louvre all to way to La Defense and there is the Grande Arche.

Saturday: You can go via Pont des Arts over Seine (Bridge of Arts) to Notre Dame direction.

Monday: Le Marais is not so specially "attractive". My hotel was there, and the area is very okay but nothing special in my opinion. Pompidou: special looks but I didn't bother to go inside, my Paris-friend used the library there so it became... only a library for me... In my opinion Les Halles nothing special either. Put some action on the boring monday ;)

Sunday: Use Pont Alexandre III for goin to Dome les Invalides. Very nice "royal" bridge and Seine scenery.

Thu: Catacombes, good! I liked it.

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,985 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Feedback on my honeymoon itinerary?

VTJedi, I can see that you have a point if we are talking about "walking by, passing by." And I also agree that "some things don't take too long." No question that one doesn't have to see everything in detail.

But still, on Thursday, the morning begins at the Catacombes (OK--less than an hour once inside), moves into Montparnasse (the cemetery, as listed, and then maybe lunch at a "famous" cafe? The view from the Tower? A stroll past a few well known historic addresses?), then into the Latin Qtr and St Germain. There just seems to be so much ground to cover before getting to the museum in the evening. Honestly, a quick walk through the streets of the Latin Qtr and St Germain would leave me wanting more. But I don't see it mentioned again in the itinerary.

I can see a quick exploration of a place (to get an overview, get your bearings of how Paris is laid out), but in that case I would definitely need time set aside later in the week to come back and explore some details. Wander down some side streets, enter some shops, have a meal or drink. That kind of thing.

I really don't see Thurs as being realistic for exploring or getting a real flavor. But I do see how an efficient walking route could be organized and accomplished, yes.

MONTPARNASSE--

-Catacombes (get there before it opens)

-Montparnasse Cemetery

Quartier Latin

-Blvd St-Michel (shopping, strolling)

-St-Severin

-Panthéon [*M*]

-Sorbonne

-Shakespeare & Co

St-Germain-Des-Pres

-Musee d'Orsay [*M*] (We could visit this museum after an early dinner because it's open until 9:45)

-Boulevard St-Germain

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Feedback on my honeymoon itinerary?

Whether a visit is rushed or not depend on individual interests and preference; some can just spend a couple of hours in the Lourve and find it adequate while others can spend days and still needed more. The advantage of touring on your own is that you can adjust your time to suit as you go along. I did many of the Paris sights during my recent visit to Paris, some according to my plan and some I could not follow but still we enjoyed our trip tremendously. Like someone pointed out earlier, you can mix shopping with sightseeing, it is more fun! Do get the Paris Museum Pass, it will come in handy. Versailles is still worth a visit despite being touristy, as are many sights in Paris. Just my view.

Ronald

http://paris-france-holiday.blogspot.com/

Edited: 12 July 2011, 00:17
Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Feedback on my honeymoon itinerary?

My comments are based on our anniversary trip last month.

I think it is wise to designate a shopping day near the end of your trip; it worked well for me. I did some shopping along the way on other days (including an hour in the handbag department at Galeries Lafayette), but after spending several days doing all our "must do" things, and a long day trip the previous day, I had a great time taking my time shopping for gifts for family members (and us). I went to Blvd St Michel, Rue St Andres des Arts, Ile St Louis, BHV (an amazing store), toy stores on Blvd Malasherbes, back to Galeries Lafayette -- it was really a fun day, and I didn't feel like I "should" be doing something else.

For a day trip, I wouldn't put Versailles on the top of your list; the crowd situation there is totally out of control. We went on a Saturday when the fountains were on, which made the trip worthwhile, but I don't think you'll have that option.

If you like gardens and Monet, Giverny is less than an hour by train, and was one of the highlights of our trip. We went on an 8:00 a.m. train and were back in Paris about 2:00. (If you go, go early, and get your train tickets and admission ticket in advance; even the day before would be fine.)

You may want to just leave that last Friday open for now, and then decide whether there is something you haven't yet done in Paris or whether you want another day trip.

I think the Seine boat ride is a must-do; we went after dinner on Saturday night (10:30 Vedettes du Pont Neuf) and saw the Eiffel Tower lights twinkle at 11:00; very romantic.

My favorite market was the Saxe-Breteuil market behind the Ecole Militaire (Thursday & Saturday). We went to other markets that were much smaller (Monge and Baudoyer)and not nearly as impressive.

We loved our bike tour -- good choice.

Congratulations and have a wonderful trip!