We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Navigo Decouverte

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kitchener, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Navigo Decouverte

Hi all,

I've been reading the older posts about the Navigo Decouverte and have checked out the official website as well. My husband and I are traveling to Paris and will most likely utilize the metro (we've been to London a few times and think the oyster pass for the tube is the best investment we've made there!)

Can anyone give me any specifics about the pictures that we'll need to take for the Navigo Decouverte? I'd like to have them ready to go. Is this strict like a passport photo in that you can't smile, background is white, etc? Thanks for your help!

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Navigo Decouverte

Any approximately 2.5 x 3 cm head shot that looks more like you or your husband (respectively) than your family pet will work. Clip something out of an old snapshot or size, crop and print something off your computer. This is NOT an official government issue ID usable to cross international frontiers!

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Navigo Decouverte

Well........ Irish, I am not sure that I agree as to the international frontiers ! Your Navigo will take you to Choisy where everyone is Chinese, to Goutte d'Or where everyone is African, to the Russian quartier around Rue Daru and to Passage Brady where absolutey everything, down to the last hairsalon and fabric shop, is Indian. And of course to Auteuil and Neuilly where everyone is from ImmeasurablyWealthy, a country sadly unfamiliar to my middleclass self.

Edited: 13 July 2011, 18:44
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Navigo Decouverte

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Well, we purchased the Navigo Decouverte last year and we also got the pictures done right in the Metro station at Place de la Bastille.

It was one of those little photo booths (remember Amelie?) and while it took a few "shots" to find one that was decent (!!) - it was easy to use and kind of fun - the manned Metro window was also right there so we were able to have the very helpful clerk finish the process of purchasing them.

You can certainly do it before you go - but I found it was pretty fun to do it there actually - I've never used one of those booths!

I still have mine from last year and am going to be taking it back to "re-load" in September - unfortunately my hubby lost his our last evening in Paris, so he will have to do it all over again.

The Navigo Decouverte is wonderful - it was so easy to use and made zipping in and out of Metro stations super simple!! We used the Metro extensively and also "re-loaded" it halfway thru our stay - easy!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Navigo Decouverte

Très drôle, Gitte!

I'd like to visit ImmeasurablyWealthy one day, but I don't think they'd let me live there... ;-)

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Navigo Decouverte

I just took a black & white photocopy of my driver's license, snipped the photo and use in my ND

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,464 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Navigo Decouverte

we found ourselves wandering from the Isle de le Jatte into Neuilly last year -- and suspected it was the land of Immeasurablewealth -- too bad, very pretty area -- although bakeries are scarce which made it seem less like Paris

Seattle
Level Contributor
609 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Navigo Decouverte

Just wanted to bump this up as TLM78 asked this question again.

Edited: 13 July 2011, 22:55
New York
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Navigo Decouverte

Well we arrived day before yesterday and we got our card at metro Trocadero. The attendant loaded the card for us and say we can put our picture on the card when we get back to our flat. Well it is now the second day and we still have not put our picture in the card. So I still wonder if it is necessary. Of course I do have the pictures with us just in case.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,667 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Navigo Decouverte

I think you can get a nasty fine if your pass isn't properly done with the photo... otherwise for all the inspectors know you are sharing the pass with someone else...

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Navigo Decouverte

triptogo you must have your picture on your card before you get stopped by an inspector. Even though you have paid for your Navigo without the picture on your card you aren't travelling on a legal ticket.

There are lots of sad stories from people who discover that the inspectors don't give any leniency to tourists who aren't familiar with the rules.

You will be fined if they find you!

Edited: 14 July 2011, 00:57