We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris Trip Report - July 2011

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Paris Trip Report - July 2011

We enjoyed 3 nights in Paris in late June/early July as part of a longer trip. Weather was perfect - sunny and low 70s. While I'd been to Paris several times before, I enjoyed this visit the most. A few highlights of this trip:

- Rodin Gardens. My first visit here, and I loved it, even though much of the garden was closed off, presumably for renovations.

- The church at the Invalides, with Napolean's tomb. Can't believe I'd never been here. Very impressive.

- Walking from the Invalides to the Louvre (through the Tuileries). What a great walk! I did this walk by going mostly through parks or along "green" spaces with expansive views, away from the traffic and crowds. I had views of most of the major sights of Paris along with walk - the Invalides, Eiffel Tower, Grand Palais, Place de la Concorde, Arc de Triomphe, Tuileries, Louvre, the boats on the Seine, and even glimpses of Notre Dame and Sacre Coeur. A real delight on a sunny day. The walk from my hotel (the Westin Vendome) to Notre Dame was nice, too.

- Being in Notre Dame as mass began. The pagentry and music were impressive, and it reminds you that this is still an active church, not just a tourist site.

- Angelina's. The most amazing croissants I've ever had - you could literally taste the butter! We headed here to pick up breakfast for a small fraction of the cost of breakfast at our hotel. The chocolate eclair was really good, too.

- Outdoor Terrace at the Louvre. We stopped for a drink at the cafe upstairs in the Richelieu wing, and were surprised to be led out to an outdoor seating area overlooking the courtyard, alongside the statutes lining the top floor of the building. A new perspective on the Louvre, with great views.

- Napoleon Rooms and the sculpture halls at the Louvre. Very interesting, and far from the crowds encountered in other areas.

- The huge Ferris Wheel in the Tuileries. Didn't ride it, but this was so close to our hotel we were constantly seeing it, day and night, and rather quickly came to see it as an iconic part of Paris.

Thanks to those on TA for the recommendations of the Rodin Gardens, the Carrosel entrance to the Louvre, Le Souffle (loved the Henri IV souffle and the dark chocolate souffle), and Angelina's. Even though I had been to Paris several times before, I picked up a lot of good tips from reading posts on the forum in anticipation of our trip.

Edited: 18 July 2011, 14:38
Springfield...
Level Contributor
332 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris Trip Report - July 2011

Sounds like a wonderful time.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,976 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris Trip Report - July 2011

Isn't it great to just walk and discover, in Paris? Great report.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris Trip Report - July 2011

Yes - I did more walking this time than on prior trips, and that is definitely the best way to see Paris!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,566 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris Trip Report - July 2011

Nice TR. Thanks for posting. I liked your comments on going to the start of the Sunday morning service at Notre Dame. We may do that on our next trip.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
128 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris Trip Report - July 2011

Enjoyed your trip report. We are heading to Paris in September, can't wait!

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
128 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris Trip Report - July 2011

Enjoyed your trip report. We are heading to Paris in September, lots of useful tips.

Thanks

7. Re: Paris Trip Report - July 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2011, 11:55
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris Trip Report - July 2011

Rockyjoe: You have several options for services at Notre Dame - their services aren't only on Sundays. We were there for the services at 6:30pm on Saturday night. My husband (who is fluent in French), attended the full mass while I joined the visitor line and stayed for only a portion of the services. It was memorable. The downside of visiting Notre Dame during a service is that some areas are blocked off to visitors, but it you have already visited the church, it's an interesting experience.

Digeroa:

We actually had only a very short line (maybe 2-3 minutes?) to buy our tickets at the Louvre. We went in mid-afternoon, and entered through the Carrosell entrance, and had no line for security, either. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.

9. Re: Paris Trip Report - July 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 09:17