We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do we get from CDG to Gare de l'est?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
How do we get from CDG to Gare de l'est?

Yes I know these "how do I get from CDG to ..." questions get asked quite a lot but I have googled and the info I found was a bit out of date so I wanted to see if anything has changed :)

My husband and I are making our second trip to Paris in January and are looking at staying in a hotel near Gare de l'est that rates quite well on TA. The main problem though appears to be getting there from CDG. I have looked at several options including the 350 bus but our flight will be arriving late, by the time we clear customs and immigration it may be 10pm and the 350 does not seem to run that late in the evening?

I know we could catch a train to Gare du Nord and walk as the two stations are very close to each other. However it will be about 10-11pm on a Friday night, in winter, and we will have been travelling for about 27 hours, so I am not so sure that I want to be walking around the streets no matter how short the distance.

What is that area likely to be like at that hour on a Friday night in January? Will there be many people around or will the place be deserted? What are the other options for getting there from CDG?

Some search results say there is a pedestrian tunnel between the two stations but other results say it hasn't opened? Is it open? Is it safe to use at night?

Please forgive me for what may seem like silly questions.

thanks,

B.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
819 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do we get from CDG to Gare de l'est?

If it's late at night in winter and you don't want to walk far then take a taxi from the airport straight to the hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do we get from CDG to Gare de l'est?

Thank you. We were trying to figure out a cheaper way but finally came to the conclusion that a taxi was simply the most sensible option. It is irrelevant now however as our email booking request has come back saying the hotel is unavailable. I would have thought with 6 months in advance, booking for January that we had allowed ourselves ample time but unfortunately it appears not. And so the search for the right combination of price/quality/location begins again.

Edited: 21 July 2011, 15:59
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do we get from CDG to Gare de l'est?

Thank you. We were trying to figure out a cheaper way but finally came to the conclusion that a taxi was simply the most sensible option. It is irrelevant now though as our booking request has come back with the hotel unavailable. I would have thought with 6 months in advance, booking for January that we had allowed ourselves ample time but unfortunately it appears not. And so the search for the right combination of price/quality/location begins again.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do we get from CDG to Gare de l'est?

Apologies for the double posts, I'm having iPhone issues and can't figure out how to delete the second one.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do we get from CDG to Gare de l'est?

Thank you. We were trying to figure out a cheaper way but finally came to the conclusion that a taxi was simply the most sensible option. It is irrelevant now though as our booking request has come back with the hotel unavailable. I would have thought with 6 months in advance, booking for January that we had allowed ourselves ample time but unfortunately it appears not. And so the search for the right combination of price/quality/location begins again.

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How do we get from CDG to Gare de l'est?

use booking.com to find a hotel, I have use that site and it works very good.

Lommel, Belgium
Level Contributor
114 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do we get from CDG to Gare de l'est?

Indeed. Booked over 10 times with booking.com all over the world and never had any problems with it.

Paris
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do we get from CDG to Gare de l'est?

Strange about this hotel non availability. Could it be linked with the current case brought by the Union of French hotels before French courts about possible conflicts of interest and unfair competition in the management of hotel bookings? The companies the union is attacking belong to the same giant internet travel corporation... For French speakers:

lhotellerie-restauration.fr/journal/juridiqu…

Edited: 21 July 2011, 22:12
Paris, France
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How do we get from CDG to Gare de l'est?

RATP.fr

It's easy to use and will give you the itinerary

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do we get from CDG to Gare de l'est?

Thanks, I might have a look at booking.com We actually booked the intial hotel through octopustravel.com as this is the site which our travel agents website goes through and they were offering a good discount. However when the booking request came through they had changed our hotel to one right on the north boundary of the city which was $500 more than the one we had wanted to book. We were not very impressed.