We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eiffel Tower & Notre Dame - Length of visit?

Ontario
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Eiffel Tower & Notre Dame – Length of visit?

How long / how much time should I set aside to visit the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame?

I realize this can be a personal preference, but how long would it take the average person to explorer/visit each place – 2 hrs, 4 hrs, all day?

Thank-you!

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,111 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eiffel Tower & Notre Dame – Length of visit?

If you are planning to ascent the Notre Dame Tower, then you must get in line about a half hour before it opens. So plan for a wait in line and then the climb--I guess under 2 hours. If you plan to "just" enter the Cathedral, there isn't usually much of a line (and if there is, it moves fast). You could see the cathedral in an hour, depending upon how slowly you want to take it in.

If you plan to ascend the Eiffel Tower, you can buy advanced tickets online. Once you are holding a ticket for an assigned time, then you just need to show up 15 mins or so before. You can spend as much time at the top as you choose. I wouldn't choose more than an hour or so, but it certainly varies according to taste. Also allow for time to approach the Tower from the Champ de Mars and to observe it from the ground (as obviously you don't see the Eiffel Tower when you're on it)! So with advanced tix, I would think you'd allow 3 hrs or a bit less.

As you say, times will vary--and they may vary hugely according to one's interest and the crowds.

Surrey
Level Contributor
186 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eiffel Tower & Notre Dame – Length of visit?

I returned from Paris yesterday and did both these visits.

Re Notre Dame,wait until late pm the queues were much shorter or try 1st thing as suggested above. You shuffle round the cathedral in about an hour. We did not do the tower but there were only about 25 people in that queue late pm.

Re Eiffel Tower we bought tickets from home so you save on the long queue to buy your tickets and you can then go up to the 1st stage at your allocated time easily. However then it all gets very very slow indeed. You queue to get up to the 2nd stage (30 mins) we then queued 45 mins to get back down to the 1st stage and another 30 mins to get back down to ground level. Our 12.30 timing took us until 4.30/5pm to complete. They really do not seem to have any organisation re the queues either and we had to several times stop other people pushing in front of us.

Despite this, next to Versailles it was our favourite trip...the views are just awesome. Enjoy!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
520 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eiffel Tower & Notre Dame – Length of visit?

We always visit the Tower at 5:00 p.m. or later - still great views & much shorter line ups.

We're not dawdlers, but even with my older mom with us the stroll inside Notre Dame was about 40 minutes. I've never had a long line up to get in and I've gone at various times of day. We did the tower climb - the line up can be long & late afternoon is best.

Belfast
Level Contributor
499 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eiffel Tower & Notre Dame – Length of visit?

Agree about the Tower, even with prebooked tickets it took us over an hour to reach the top. When we did get there we only spent a short time as we were so conscious of the long queues to get back down again. Thay was for a 7.30pm booking. I'm glad I didn't have to join the long ticket queue beforehand too. You'll also want to spend some time just admiring the tower from the Trocadero.

5. Re: Eiffel Tower & Notre Dame – Length of visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 23:18