We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to avoid Taxi Que at Gare de lyon

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
How to avoid Taxi Que at Gare de lyon

Hi,

I am arriving first time to paris, & when i was going through forum i understand that there is always long waiting que to take taxi at railway station Gare de lyon. I appreciate if anyone could help me to know

1. How long approximately this que waiting to get taxi from station to paris city (near Eiffel tower).

2. Any other option to avoid this long waiting que with reasonable price.

3. Do we get any shuttle service from Gare de lyon station.

Thank you so much

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
481 reviews
from US$72.10*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,158 reviews
from US$108.20*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
572 reviews
from US$51.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$331.40*
Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to avoid Taxi Que at Gare de lyon

Are you arriving by TGV at the Gare de Lyon? If you're traveling in first class, they usually offer a service where you can pre-book a taxi and avoid the line. There is a surcharge for the service.

The line for the taxi varies and depends on how many other trains have arrived at the same time. It's usually well organized and moves faster than expected. The longest that I've waited was about 20 minutes.

The other option is to take a metro or a bus from Gare de Lyon to your destination.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to avoid Taxi Que at Gare de lyon

Thanks, after knowing from you 20 mins i decide i can wait & get the taxi after i arrive the station, yes i am arriving via TGV lyria from Geneva at 8pm, i hope it will not be crowded at this time?

I will be with my family, 2 Adults & 2 children (2years & 4years), whether taxi also count my infant as 1 person? so do i have to pay any surcharge for the fourth person?

Since one piece of luggage is free for one person, if family of four members that means do i get free luggage for my four bags.?

Thanks

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to avoid Taxi Que at Gare de lyon

Shoeb_md, Even though I frequently arrive at the Gare de Lyon with the TGV from Geneva, I can't promise that your wait will be twenty minutes. That has been my experience, although since you're traveling with two small children your wait may feel longer. It's impossible for me to say how long the line will be because it depends on the day and time. For example, the line is usually longer on Friday evenings because many people travel to Paris for the weekend, etc.

I don't know how the taxi fare will be calculated with regards to your infant and your fourth piece of luggage. Perhaps someone else will have that information.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to avoid Taxi Que at Gare de lyon

The one piece of luggage is one piece. Not per person.

Each person in the taxi counts as a person - even infants.

There is a surcharge for every additional person.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to avoid Taxi Que at Gare de lyon

Thank you all, i will be arriving on monday, but any ways since i am travelling with 2 kids its better i pre-book private taxi service, when i check online i find estimating cost from 55 to 70 Euros, kindly let me know if anyone are cheaper than this...i am not sure whether G7 taxi service will pick-up from station exit, i read in another forum that G7 are not allowed at stations & drivers normally refuses to take passenger from station, please correct me if iam wrong..

Best Regards

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to avoid Taxi Que at Gare de lyon

Just wanted to ask again if by any chance you're traveling first class on the TGV because you can pre-book your taxi on the train at a less expensive rate than Euros 55-70.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How to avoid Taxi Que at Gare de lyon

Sorry i could not update on this, i am travelling in second class.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to avoid Taxi Que at Gare de lyon

The price for an ordinary taxi from Gare de Lyon to near the Eiffel Tower would be around €20. Quotes of €55 to €70 are outrageous.

G7 is the name of a taxi company: I can't think why they would avoid stations.

I really think the best thing for you to do would be to follow the signs to the taxi rank. Train station taxi ranks are usually well organised.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to avoid Taxi Que at Gare de lyon

I'd say go for the taxi from the taxi rank. For our taxi ride (2 adults, 2 kids with 3 pieces of luggage plus kiddie backpacks) from Gare de Lyon to our hotel in the 6th, we were expecting to pay about 20+ Euros. The ride only cost us 11 Euros. The really nice cabbie, who got chatting with us, did not charge us extra for the 4th passenger or for luggage. Needless to say, we tipped him well.

We took a taxi ride, every now and then, when the kids were starting to complain about being on their feet all the time. And even then, we were lucky to get taxi drivers who did not charge us for the 4th passenger, a 3-year-old.

It's best to be prepared to pay the extra charge... but you might be lucky and get cabbies who don't charge for the littlest one.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How to avoid Taxi Que at Gare de lyon

Nice to read your reply, i think best to try taxi from station, the only worry i had not to wait long no matter if it is not taking more than 20min on monday at 8pm to '17 Rue de l'exposition'.

Could any one help me to know whether its easy to catch taxi from '17 Rue de l'exposition', whether its easily available on the way or need to pre-book.

Thanks