We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro or taxi?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Metro or taxi?

We are arriving on a Tuesday afternoon via Eurostar, and will be staying at Hotel La Bourdonnais - wondering which is better for us - to take the metro or taxi. We are a family of 4 - so we will have 4 small bags and back packs to carry. I know where to go on the Metro, but I am concerned about safety on the metro with so much "stuff" and having to watch the 2 kids...we will certainly look like lost tourists! Also - if we take a taxi - is there a specific company that is better than others?

Paris
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro or taxi?

Taxi, hands down. Not for the non existent "safety" issue, but just for the sheer practicality with so much stuff to be carried around. ON the search box, retrieve the 2 million threads asking how to go from gare du Nord to the 7th, and you'll get all the info and advice.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,968 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro or taxi?

Don't worry about a taxi company: just follow the signs for taxis and get any taxi from the well-organised taxi rank. All taxis have the same metered rates.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro or taxi?

Four people with so much "stuff" you may want to consider trying for a mini van taxi. Same taxi line, may require a short wait until you get one. At any rate, taxi is the way to go.-

toronto
Level Contributor
447 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro or taxi?

taxi for sure. I took a taxi after arriving from London even though it was just myself and my bf and we only had 2 pieces of luggage. I think its just easier to pay the extra money and get to your hotel and settle in and then you can explore via metro/bus. You will find that when arriving at the train station there is a line up of ppl and line up of taxis outside and there will be a person directing the flow so a taxi will simply pull up and the coordinator will point you in its direction.

Surrey
Level Contributor
186 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro or taxi?

Taxi has my vote but not because of any concerns travelling on the metro. We returned yesterday from 6 days in Paris and used a taxi to and from the hotel. There are few lifts on the metro and lots of steps! The metro though is a great form of transport and no different from any other city re safety. Just use common sense! We had such a great trip

Newmarket, ON...
Level Contributor
380 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Metro or taxi?

BeavOntario:

Taxi has my vote as well for all the practical reasons stated above and not for safety. However, we have a personal bias for taking taxis almost always.

We were in Paris for a week earlier in July and decided that when transportation was warranted (ie from Orly to downtown, to CDG and late one afternoon after a long, long walk), we'd use a taxi because it was just great to talk with the driver. More expensive for sure, but far, far more interesting. Did the same in Barcelona the week before Paris and never regretted it.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Metro or taxi?

I vote for the metro if you know where to go. Tuesday afternoon is a breeze. Save the extra money to splurge on something. (Are the two kids wild savages who require constant surveillance? Might it be the right time to request that they become more responsible in a foreign land? Each new place can be a learning experience if you do not purposely make everything too easy.)

Ontario
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Metro or taxi?

Thanks all - Taxi it will be!

9. Re: Metro or taxi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 00:15