We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ORLY to CDG....enough time?

Roseville, CA
Level Contributor
349 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
ORLY to CDG....enough time?

Landing in ORLY from an international flight. Supposed to land at 9:30 a.m. Flying "flyopenskies" from IAD.

I understand that ORLY is much more manageable than CDG and we should be able to get in/out relatively quickly.

We are going to Vienna (before we spend our final week in Paris) and it seems like the direct flights to Vienna are out of CDG. The one that seems to be very fitting in a flight to VIE that departs CDG at 12:30 p.m. Is that enough time to get luggage, go through customs, and then head over to CDG for a 12:30 p.m. flight? Of course we are assuming that the flight arrives on time.

The other option is to waste an entire day at a nearby hotel (didn't seen any Marriott/Hilton Airport hotels at ORLY) and fly out of ORLY to VIE the next morning at 8:45 a.m. I would hate to waste an entire day doing not much of anything...but if 3 hours isn't enough time to get through customs and then over to CDG then we would end up wasting a day anyway.

I'm guessing the best way is a taxi....probably 50-75 euros...?

Thanks....have to make these final flight reservations in order to start working on the itinerary!

Dawn

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ORLY to CDG....enough time?

If you want to be in Vienna why are you flying to Paris? :-)

I think it would be easier to fly open jaw from wherever to Vienna and then fly home from Paris.That way all your flights are on the one ticket and you won't have to worry about changing airports and possibly missing flights. If you have delays enroute the airline will be responsible to getting you to Vienna.

If you choose to go ahead with your current plan I don't think 3 hours is enough time to expect to get through arrival formalities, get from Orly to CDG and then check in again.

Edited: 02 August 2011, 04:48
Roseville, CA
Level Contributor
349 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ORLY to CDG....enough time?

Open jaw not an option. Our final week will be in Paris.

It's less than a 2 hour flight so a small price to pay to break up 16 day vacation between two amazing places.

I had heard it was not a problem at all because of the size of ORLY. Will do a little more research and consider staying 1st night at a Hilton CDG then flying to Vienna all fresh in the am.

Thanks.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,150 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ORLY to CDG....enough time?

I was unaware that there were flights from the USA to ORY. Your biggest concern will be arriving on time into ORY, something over which you will have absolutely no control. Further, 3 hours scheduled ground time is, in my view, simply not sufficient time.

Consider, if you do arrive on time:

1. 30 - 45 minutes to deplane, pass through immigration, collection your luggage, and clear customs (and 30 minutes is very optimistic).

2. from 15 to 30 minutes to make your way to the curb and actually depart in a taxi or Air France bus for CDG.

3. anywhere from one hour to 90 minutes to drive to CDG (OK, less if you are doing this on a Sunday)

4. Check in a minimum of one hour before departure but you still will need to complete this process, go through security, and reach your departure gate.

Overall, this exchange could easily take anywhere from 2+45 (very optimistically) to 3+45 or more depending upon many unknowns such as traffic or security backups not including a late arriving aircraft in ORY. 3 hours is not enough time to guarantee your making a VIE connect arriving Orly and departing Roissy.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ORLY to CDG....enough time?

I agree. Not enough time.

Why not spend a day and a night in Paris? If you leave for CDG no later than 10:00 (09:30 would be safer but probably unnecessary) by taxi or public transport the next morning you could make the 12:30 flight or leave by 06:15 for the 08:45 flight from ORY. Why would you waste a day sitting in an airport hotel?

5. Re: ORLY to CDG....enough time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 10:16