We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris Six Days-But not enough time!! Help with itinerary

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Paris Six Days-But not enough time!! Help with itinerary

Hi, I'm going to Paris, in two weeks, after saying au revoir to my daughters in London, arriving mid-afternoon. I had my first trip last year, it all seems such a blur, but this time I want to really see the things I'm passionate about - history, architecture and art. I've seen the Louvre. But what is high on this agenda is Fontainbleau, Versailles (day tour) and the Loire chateaux. I'd love to see Giverny, but I'm running out of time, with all the other things I want to see/do. I'm prepared to ditch Giverney in place of Chartres (I think). If I go to Chartres, I must feel comfortable and safe about doing it by myself, or are there tours?

The tours I've booked all include hotel pick up and return, as I'm travelling alone and in my 60's. I'm nervous, but excited about the whole thing, and never thought I'd ever do something like this by myself. I'm staying at the Hotel Left Bank in St Germain des Pres.

So - so far I've got : Monday 22 Aug - free (so far)

Tuesday 23 August: Maybe one of the Paris walks - French Revolution maybe, or the Marais.

Wednesday: Fontainbleu - half day tour

Thursday: Versailles - full day tour

Friday: Loire Valley and Chateaux.

Saturday: free so far

Sunday: Train to Nice

My dilemma: I dearly want to see: Place des Vosges, Notre Dame, Les Invalides (Napolean's tomb), St Chapelle, and saunter along the Champs Elysees, and Paris by Night.

Any suggestions on how to fit everything in, and how to best include the extra places (as above) in??? I also would like some time to do some shopping!!!! I don't want this trip to be hectic like last year, but that was only five days. I really want to soak in the history and enjoy my time this trip. I leave early on the Sunday by train to Nice to meet up with my daughters for our Cannes holiday!!!

Many thanks for any ideas!!!

Set In Paris Movie Tours
Bus Tours, Walking Tours, Film & TV Tours, Shopping Tours
Shakespeare and Company Bookstore
Libraries, Gift & Speciality Shops, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Florida
Level Contributor
17,124 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris Six Days-But not enough time!! Help with itinerary

Seems like you could visit Notre Dame, St Chapelle and Place des Vosges on Monday, walk the Champs and Paris by night on your Wednesday evening, and then les Invalides Saturday morning followed by your shopping for the rest of the day.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
969 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris Six Days-But not enough time!! Help with itinerary

Chartres is easy to do. Train from Paris and about a 10-15 minutes walk to the cathedral. I'd choose Giverny over Chartres for a day trip as there is more to do in Giverny. The Chartres Catedral is beautiful, but if you've seen Notre Dame then Chartres is quite small in comparison.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris Six Days-But not enough time!! Help with itinerary

Well the Paris walks Marias walk will take you near to the Place des Vosges. I am not sure which Marais Pariswalks circuit (there are two) does the Place des Voges but they will give you lots of the history of this area and you can explore after the walk.

From the Marais it is a pleasant walk across the river to the Ille St Louis and then on to Ile de Cite. Notre Dame, and St Chapelle.

Sauntering along the Champs Elysees by night can be done any evening of your trip and Les invallides on Monday, or Wednesday afternoon, if it is open. The website is being updated, Does anybody know?

This leaves Saturday for shopping.

The rest of the time you have plenty of time to discover other things. Paris is very easy to negotiate by metro or even walking. Get a good map. Ask the concierge/receptionist at your hotel. They will help.

As for Chartres. If you look in the search box you will find lots about day trips to Chartres. Here is a thread telling you how to get there by train. To ally your anxieties, train travel is safe and easy in France. I have travelled to many places alone without problem.

tripadvisor.co.uk/…8223121

However, you are already spending three days out of the six out side of Paris. which doesn't leave you much time to actually spend IN Paris. Are you visiting Paris or just using it as a base for day trips out? That is fine but maybe you will have to accept that you can't do it all in six days. which is only one day more than last time.

You say your last trip was a blur and you don't want this trip to be hectic, you say you " really want to soak in the history and enjoy my time this trip." so perhaps you need to just slow down and concentrate an what is REALLY important or this trip will be a blur also. Do you want to see Paris or is the trips to these places more important?

I discovered solo travel a few years ago. I notice you have booked several tours, which is fine, but really, getting about under your own steam, I find so empowering and gives me confidence.

Good luck. I now find solo travel very addictive. No restrictions of time or place, nobody else to please. Change plans at the last minute, Eat when you like, getup when you like go to bed when you like.

Most of all have FUN!

Denise

love from England

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris Six Days-But not enough time!! Help with itinerary

Hello!! Well, after doing a lot more research this is what I've got so far:

Sunday

21 Aug Arrive via Eurostar approx. 2.30pm. Take taxi to Hotel Left Bank, St Germain des Pres. After checking in, walk around the neighbourhood. Find somewhere local to have dinner.

Sunday evening Paris Illuminations tour

9.30PM

paris-tours-service.com DEPARTURE = 9:30 pm

PICK UP and return to my hotel.

Monday

22 Aug Heavy rain predicted What to do??

Monday

22 Aug PM Fontainebleau + Barbizon

1.15pm pick up

paris-tours-service.com DURATION = ± 4 ½ hours

Tuesday

23 Aug AM ?????

Tuesday

23 Aug PM Walk - The French Revolution 2.30pm

paris-walks.com

Wednesday

24 Aug AM Loire Valley day tour

6.30am pick up - paris-tours-service.com

Thursday

25 Aug AM Paris best of + Lunch Eiffel Tower – 9.30am pick up – 4 hours duration

paris-tours-service.com Eiffel Tower & Trocadéro (photo stop), the Opera house, Notre-Dame (photo stop), Concorde Square, Vendôme Square, the Louvre, the Seine River banks, the Invalides, Madeleine church. Lunch at the “58 Tour Eiffel“ located on the first floor of the Eiffel Tower.

Included Fast access ticket and lunch at the Eiffel Tower. This tour ends at the Eiffel Tower.

Thursday

25 Aug PM Walk - The Marais Circuit 2 2.30pm

paris-walks.com Northern Marais: elegant classical mansions with graceful courtyards and gardens, the old Jewish quarter and the place des Vosges, the city’s oldest square. Meet at metro St Paul

Friday

26 Aug AM ????

Friday

26 Aug PM ????

Saturday

27 Aug AM ????

Saturday

27 Aug PM ????

Sunday

28 Aug AM Depart Train to Nice

Somehow, find time for: Must Do’s:

I’m ready to ditch, maybe the French Revolution Walk to fit in these ‘must dos’:

Would love to squeeze in Chartres Cathedral, but maybe not this time.. Tour of Notre Dame

See Saint Chapelle, Tuilleries, Angelina Café (226 Rue de Rivoli), Restaurant Grand Vefour (17 Rue Du Beaujolais,), Champ du Mars, La Concierge, Invalides and Napoleons Tomb,

Walk along Champs Elysees. Places des Vosges is included in the Marais Walk (Thursdays PM)

SHOPPING Galleries Lafayette, Printemps, shopping around St Germain des Pres

5. Re: Paris Six Days-But not enough time!! Help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 18:16