We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go after Paris?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
La Verne, California
Level Contributor
552 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go after Paris?

Hello, my wife and 2 daughters are planning a trip to France. We want to fly in and out of Paris. We plan on staying in Paris about 6 days. We will be traveling for about 2 weeks. I have been to Paris a couple times. I've also visited Nice and Normandy. My girls will be 7 and 10 when we travel. We will be traveling in the summertime. We would like to visit the countryside or other interesting cities. We do not speak French, only English, but we try our best to communicate in French when we can (with the help of our travel books). So somewhere to far out in the countryside where locals only speak French may be too difficult for us. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go after Paris?

Go to Strasbourg or Lille.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go after Paris?

Another option is going to the Loire valley to see the chateaux (castles). If either daughter is into horses, the equestrian facility in Saumur may be of interest.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go after Paris?

If you have visited Normandy try the Loire valley

Here is an excellent B&B to start with in Amboise if you would like to visit

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187116-d239273…

The American owner does a fine job of helping her French challanged guests get the most out of the area

La Verne, California
Level Contributor
552 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go after Paris?

Thanks, I'll look into it. Any specific cities we should put on our agenda?

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go after Paris?

With 8 days, I would include 3 cities. There are so many combinations, but something like

1) 2 nights Chartes

2) 3 nights Amboise

3) 3 nights near Chinon

would work

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,955 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go after Paris?

Have the girls been to London?

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,573 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go after Paris?

Especially since you'll be travelling in summertime, what about going North of Paris to the Pas de Calais and/or Picardy - to places like St Valery sur Somme, Montreuil sur Mer, Le Touquet, the Cote d'Opale, Cap Griz Nez, Arras, Amiens ... Some of them will need a car and I don't know if you're planning to rent one. There are plenty of fascintaing sights to see, beaches to explore, and things for your children to do. Many locals speak quite good English (a courtesy bonjour is usually all that's required to get them to open up and try their English).

La Verne, California
Level Contributor
552 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go after Paris?

missika - Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look them up for sure. The B&B looks great.

mcal3k - We were originally going to go to London for a week and Paris for a week, but a couple things changed our minds. 1 - Cheaper to fly in and out of one city (Paris) and 2 - we'd like to explore a little more of France. We'd like to go to some of the less touristy places.

Celestina - I've been lucky enough to travel to Europe 4 time, but I've never rented a car. I've always traveled by train. To be honest the idea of renting a car abroad is a little intimidating. We always try to say hello, please and thank you in the native language, and you're right that usually does the trick.

9. Re: Where to go after Paris?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 11:18