We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My poor feet

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
My poor feet

Okay, I'm bringing a fairly broken-in new pair of Doc Marten shoes with cushioned insoles and a packet of moleskin in case I get blisters.I figure those would pass muster in nice restaurants and churches and museum and nice shops, yet would do the trick support-wise.

What do you all think?

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
481 reviews
from US$72.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,157 reviews
from US$108.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
570 reviews
from US$51.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$329.40*
USA
Level Contributor
28,487 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My poor feet

No matter what shoes you wear...get your feet and legs into '..shape..' for trekking across miles of uneven pavement and scaling mountains of stairs each day. Getting into shape by working your way up to walking a mile or so every day at a good brisk pace (without feeling as if Emergency Medical Services are required at the end) will do it for most people.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: My poor feet

Wow, I've just got a week left. I've been walking a bit, but I fear I won't be sufficiently prepared.

California
Level Contributor
929 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My poor feet

the metro is always an option

France
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: My poor feet

You must absolutely bring two (TWO) pairs of shoes. Both comfortable ones, of course.

Not only your feet need a change, but it's also good for the shoes.

In case you go back to your hotel before dinner, change and you'll feel different (=better) already.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,362 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My poor feet

Nobody listens to me when I say this, but you really do need TWO pairs of good walking shoes and you need to alternate them daily. Now that Coco is weaving the same tale, maybe people will start heeding the advice, we do live here after all and know something about what it takes to walk these streets.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: My poor feet

Hmm, then I'd better pack fewer clothes and a second pair of shoes.

France
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: My poor feet

Absolutely and you won't regret it!

Do wear the heavier ones for the flight over and pack the lighter ones.

birmingham MA
Level Contributor
196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My poor feet

I guess it's a case of what are your feet used to? If you are slender build and used to walking everywhere in flimsy shoes (like me!) then Paris will present no problems. If you are slightly overweight, don't walk anywhere and aren't used to putting your feet to the test, then suddenly walking several miles a day will make your feet hurt!

I've walked all around Paris and Rome in flip-flops, sandals and stilleto shoes and never had a problem. Other people wear comfy walking shoes but because their feet aren't used to walking they get pain and blisters.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: My poor feet

Well, to be blunt and frank and even graphic, yes,I am a bit overweight. I don't own a car and walk somewhat, but try to avoid it when I can. I'm fairly sedentary, but one of my traveling companions has tried to get me out and walking the last week. We'd walk more this week, but the weather has been cold and rainy (probably the way the weather will be in Paris when I'm there the first week of March).

I used to bike everywhere, but haven't in a couple years or so.

He also had me buy a pair of Lycra shorts, saying they are the best way to avoid my very real problem of chafing, but I haven't tried walking anywhere with them yet. They look uncomfortable.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: My poor feet

I tend to wear solid, substantial shoes. I have a weird posture, am very hard on my shoes, and tend to walk rather quickly outside for a fat man.