We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For metro lovers only

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
For metro lovers only

Some people love the metro (I do) and others find it to be a distressing place of excess crowds and pickpockets. While there are times when it can be somewhat unpleasant to take the metro (ask any Parisian about rush hour), tourists can usually skip the metro at those times of day and only take it when it is civilized.

The Paris transit authority (RATP) really makes an admirable effort to brighten up the metro experience and make some of the stations a bit better than usual. So I decided to go around and make a collection of some of the more unique stations (although I have not finished my report yet and need to go to more areas of the city).

Anywhere, here are some of the more interesting stations that some of you might pass through. It helps a lot if you keep your eyes open and not turn into metro zombies like so many Parisian commuters: anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…

ireland
Level Contributor
975 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For metro lovers only

Beautiful pictures, thank you for keeping the forum so interesting. I must confess I usually prefer railway stations, but I might change my mind.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For metro lovers only

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I'm a lover of the Metro and am so looking forward to riding it again very soon.......mahalo (thank you) for the wonderful pictures of some of the more interesting Metro stations!

I found a wonderful book on the Paris Metro as well recently - lots of history and illustrations throughout the years!

Yes, they can be crowded and you have to be aware of your surroundings.....but I love the Metro!

Thanks again "kerouac2"!!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For metro lovers only

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Meant to add that I found the Metro station that had part of the original foundation of the Bastille especially interesting - now I'll have to look for that next month - since we are only a couple blocks from the Bastille Metro station, it should be easy to find, no?

Wonderful, I'm going to be paying a lot more attention to the stations this year!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,095 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For metro lovers only

Fantastic! I love the Metro and I can't wait to be riding it in 3 weeks.

Thank you!

ireland
Level Contributor
268 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For metro lovers only

Wow, cant believe I'll be riding the metro again come Saturday morning. I love the stations, and weird as this may sound I can actually hear the sound of the trains and passageways in my head.

Thank you for taking the time to put that together Kerouac and sharing, there was certainly a lot of work went into it.

Ellen xx

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For metro lovers only

Kerouac2, After a long weekend driving in the car, the title of this thread captured my attention. Even though it's way past my bedtime, I had to take a peek at your photo journal and see what I've been missing the past few days. Thanks for sharing all of the great photos of the metro.

NZ
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For metro lovers only

On my next trip I hope to spend more time hopping on and off and seeing the stations as the photos are very interesting.

CA
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For metro lovers only

An amazing job!

Merci!!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: For metro lovers only

I, too, love the Metro. Yes, you have to be careful but they are part of the flavor of Paris. :) Thank you for the photos!

Little Rock
Level Contributor
609 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: For metro lovers only

Merci! Enjoyed your commentary, pictures and historical facts.