We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is your method of securing the best hotel rate?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
85 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
What is your method of securing the best hotel rate?

i have been looking to book a room in a 3 star hotel on the left bank for February, 2012. However, when researching various travel websites, there is always a difference in rates. When I enter the various hotel websites that I am researching, the prices seem to be less than the travel web sites. Can somebody recommend a reliable website or two that does not play games with prices, but will honestly give a customer the lowest price available? Any recommendations in the price range of around $200 euro would be welcomed. Thanks

Mike

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
20,949 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is your method of securing the best hotel rate?

As you are learning, it is really almost always best to rely on the hotel's website for the most favorable rates. Third party booking agents don't mention special internet rates, longer stay discounts (as few as three nights), off season special rates, etc., offered directly through the hotel.

Often, if you see a lower rate on a third party website, your booking will be for a "run of the house" room, meaning whatever is leftover and no choice except that it will accommodate the number of people booked.

It may be a bit too soon to book for February 2012, except with the chain hotels, as smaller hotels often don't determine their rates for the upcoming year until later on and may be showing no availability no matter where you look.

I sometimes use the booking sites (selectively) to check hotels (reviews), locations, availability, prices, etc., but always book directly with the hotel (except when using Priceline or Hotwire), for a number of very good reasons.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,647 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is your method of securing the best hotel rate?

You can check booking.com (sometimes offers discounts) and Venere.com (has a convenient layout by area). But it's best to always check the rates offered on hotel's official website, as been suggested, because they may be lower.

On the left bank, I like Hôtel du Panthéon -- it's well situated, right on place du Panthéon, some rooms have views of the Panthéon, and close to many historic sites.

http://www.hoteldupantheon.com/

THE lowest rate often comes with conditions so it's important to read the fine print -- it might be non-refundable with full payment in advance...

California
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is your method of securing the best hotel rate?

After checking the hotel's website, you might try giving them a call. I have gotten a lower rate than was shown on their website by booking over the phone a time or two. Once I was given an upgraded room for the rate of an entry level room. Of course it depends on the individual hotel, but it can't hurt to try!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,473 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is your method of securing the best hotel rate?

Two nice 3 stars I have stayed at are:

Hotel Des Grand Hommes( which is sister hotel to the Hotel Pantheon, and right next store to it,,I would stay in which ever is cheaper)

Hotel Le Regent,, I really liked the location of this hotel, booked the deluxe rooms,, which I recommend as I saw the standard room and it was very small.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,574 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What is your method of securing the best hotel rate?

Many hotels official websites give you the opportunity to communicate with them via E-mail. It is a great vehicle to check on special rates or upgrades and it is much more personal than dealing with the big box travel websites. Or.....call them.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is your method of securing the best hotel rate?

Most often you get better rates on the hotels' official website. This is due to the fact that these 'middle-man' booking portals might take up to 40% as a cut. In either case, the best way is to compare prices on both.

Regarding good hotels in your price range, here is a couple in a wonderful location, minutes from the Seine, Les Deux Magots, Ile de la Cité etc.

Hotel Lenox Saint Germain - http://www.hotelparislenoxsaintgermain.com

Hotel Saint Thomas D Aquin - http://www.hotel-st-thomas-daquin.com

7. Re: What is your method of securing the best hotel rate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 02:18