We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Food Gifts to bring French Family

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
998 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
American Food Gifts to bring French Family

Any suggestions for hard or expensive "American" food items? I'm thinking real maple syrup, maybe peanut butter. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: American Food Gifts to bring French Family

I am happy to see this question because I was going to ask a similar one.

We will be in Paris at the end of October and anticipate being invited to dinner by a couple my in-laws are friends with. They are in their mid-40's with 3 teenagers and we would be asked to their house.

What sort of gift could I bring in this situation? Should I try to bring something from home or should I pick up something when I get there, like flowers or dessert from a bakery?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,029 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: American Food Gifts to bring French Family

Flowers are always absolutely correct,, wine if you can pick well, chocolate are a good idea.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,776 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: American Food Gifts to bring French Family

Exactly what Joan said!

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,065 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: American Food Gifts to bring French Family

Wine from the US is difficult to get here, so its always welcome.

Even flowers and chocolate are welcome, but in society-like circles the most common hostess gift for this situation would be a coffee table book on your home town.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,343 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: American Food Gifts to bring French Family

If you take flowers, avoid chrysanthemums--they are for funerals. Also, take just a nice bouquet, not an arrangement; the ready-made bouquets are really gorgeous.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: American Food Gifts to bring French Family

catullus - thanks for the tip on chrysanthemums

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
355 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: American Food Gifts to bring French Family

Can you smuggle in some "Trenton Pork Roll"? ..or some Tastycakes?

Just an idea.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
998 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: American Food Gifts to bring French Family

I know someone who brought Tastycakes as a hostess gift in Spain. CRINGE!

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,135 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: American Food Gifts to bring French Family

Here's a brand of chocolate made in the USA which is known for very high quality. I actually went through the factory and saw how it is made. The factory is in Berkeley, California on Heinz Street. I've purchased the chocolate in Oregon too. I don't know if they sell it all over the USA. http://www.scharffenberger.com/

I've had bad luck bringing food from the USA. However, I do like to bring small gifts from the USA for French people I meet or spend time with during my stay. I think the idea of picking something indigenous to your area is the best because it has a story and some meaning.

I visited some people who live in Digne, France and they have a huge garden. I gave them a packet of Oregon wild flowers which they subsequently planted and now boast about!

Everyone can use things like tea towels or an attractive oven mitt.

My French friend in Lyon, France redecorated her kitchen in red and black. I got her a couple of pretty red bowls and red and black tea towels.

You might also bring a 12-month wall calendar (large or small) with photos from your area of the country or a coffee table book of photos from your area of the country.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,711 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: American Food Gifts to bring French Family

I cringe at tasty cakes but a lot more at bringing an invasive species of wild flower to a new country -- have you not heard of Kudzu? It seemed like a great idea at the time. as did the English sparrow. upsetting the eco system is a lot worse than bringing something goofy like peanut butter or my personal favorite gaffe -- the woman who brought bisquick