We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Food Gifts to bring French Family

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
991 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
American Food Gifts to bring French Family

Any suggestions for hard or expensive "American" food items? I'm thinking real maple syrup, maybe peanut butter. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,052 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: American Food Gifts to bring French Family

and because dough scans as a malleable plastic...a few years ago, an Irish tourist had her bags blown up on the tarmac because she'd packed ready-to-use pie dough in her checked bags, and security flagged it as plastic explosive because of the x-ray signature. They can't be expected to risk blowing themselves to kingdom come when the x-ray machine tells them it's plastique -- so they rolled it out to the tarmac and blew it up.

Bring a recipe for the dough -- even if it's not flagged by security, it will have long since begun to melt, which will allow the yeast to begin to grow...and the moisture condenses and makes it slimy....there's just too many reasons NOT to.

Smoked salmon just sits there.

Naples
Level Contributor
287 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: American Food Gifts to bring French Family

Philly Cheesesteak? Just kidding .....

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
991 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: American Food Gifts to bring French Family

I didn't realize this was something we were internationally famous for till we went to Ecuador. We stayed at the most lovely hotel, the Swissotel in Quito.

They had several restaurants including a Japanese place with "the only Japanese sushi chef in Ecuador". The room service menu had all kinds of international dishes including "cheese steak philadelphia". It was so funny. Whenever we travel internationally and say that we are from Philly, we hear "city of brotherly love' followed by "cheesteaks".

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
44. Re: American Food Gifts to bring French Family

Just an FYI, Scharffen Berger is owned by Hershey. I don't think they publicize that too much since they have it positioned as their premium brand. I found this out when I visited their store in Hershey, PA. I don't know where it's available, but if it's not available outside the US then it would be a unique gift

45. Re: American Food Gifts to bring French Family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 17:23