We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food to try

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Food to try

I am looking for different kinds of food to try in Paris. Food popular to the Parisian culture, foods not found many other places, etc. Thanks!

SFpeninsula
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Food to try

Crepes Crepes Crepes Crepes

Berthillon Sorbet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
478 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Food to try

Snails, don't be shy they cover them in garlic butter, tasty little blighters.

Wee Britain
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Food to try

second the crepes! there are plenty of streetside shops that make crepes to go, even late at night.

Paris
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Food to try

Oysters, the way the Parisians eat them: raw (ie alive), not washed, on a bed of ice. MMMmmhhh...

For more adventurous eaters, you have andouillette, tripes, gizards, sweetbreads, liver, etc.

But even a steak that actually arrives on your table rare when you have ordered it "rare" is something you don't get in the States any more, and that's the way most Parisians have their steak.

If you are in for a great frisson: rabbit.

Crêpes, ice cream (be it from Berthillon) are nice kiddie stuff, but it's not real food and it can be found all around the planet.

SFpeninsula
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Food to try

Bob -

Getting a little "judgemental" aren't we ?

A S
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
654 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food to try

Bob, I am so glad you have been to every restaurant in every state so you could make this pronouncement.

Paris
Level Contributor
776 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Food to try

But he is right, crepes and Ice cream have nothing to do with Paris, my german grand mother made the best pfannekuchen in the world and since I have never eaten a crepe in Paris...

Ice cream, ok, berthillon, ok but again I prefer haegen dazs which I can get all over the planet...

I guess the real food recommendations are as stated but (and even if it is not parisian) I would still add Foie gras, frog legs...

And for the typical parisian thing, Steak frites, le steak bleu s'il vous plait! YAY!

paris, france
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food to try

you want to be adventurous? then you should try frog legs (never eaten that and i would never try lol!), snails, andouillette (its good but you dont want to know what is inside, just eat it!), some like to eat strange parts of the animals (well for me its strange i could not eat that lol) like tongue, porc feet, brain, etc. something very good and alsacian but that you can find in paris in alsacian restaurants is choucroute, but youd better have your belly empty when you eat that its heavy!

eastern Ontario
Level Contributor
199 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food to try

Alana:

Re: your post Feb 21.

Did you visit every place in France and Italy where sandwiches are sold ?

Sunderland, UK
Level Contributor
289 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food to try

Hi,

Looking forward to our visit in 5 days 22hours!

Oysters at the Bar d'Huitres and Bistro Cote Mer, Boudin Noir from a restaurant, can't remember name in the 5th, Foie Gras (not terrine which unfortunately is what we manage to get much of the time here, and.....

Croissants, fresh every morning with a good kick of a Grande Cafe Noir!

A thick slice of livarot with a glass of "trou Normande" - Calvados!

A visit to the local Nicolas and chilled champagne to take back to the hotel

Crepe Suzette at the Bistro Cote Mer, for the joy of watching the the waiter excelling at the art of flaming them at your table.....

Not long to go!

Best wishes