We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight to Paris and London

USA
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Flight to Paris and London

Everyone

We are traveling to Paris next May and then to London from the US. What is the cheapest way to fly into Paris and back out of London to the US. I guess we could fly into London (round ticket) and then take the Euro Star to Paris but we would lose more than a day to travel.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight to Paris and London

The Eurostar would be the fastest, it goes from city centre to city centre. And it's just a couple of hours, not a whole day of travelling. It's so quick that alot of people take the Eurostar for a day trip to London or Paris.

Flying is cheaper, but then you have to factor in the cost of train tickets to and from the airport to the city centre, or even cabs if you decide to take them.

The Eurostar arrives and departs from Gare du Nord which is accessible by the Paris metro, as well as St.Pancras in London.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight to Paris and London

The most efficient and probably least expensive way to make the trip would be to fly "open jaw" flying into one city and home from the other. Make the one-way trip between the two by Eurostar as suggested booking as early as possible, up to 120 days ahead, at www.eurostar.com

I have never seen flights between Paris and London that are cheaper than the least expensive Eurostar tickets that start at around €50 one way. ~€90 round-trip. You might compare fares on RailEurope also as they do occasionally have good fares for Eurostar travel, especially when you are booking just one way. The train will in any case be MUCH faster and easier when travelling from the center of one city to the other.

The other option, probably less efficient and possibly more expensive would be to fly round-trip to Paris via London with a stopover in London en route in one direction. (Equally you could fly to London via Paris with a stopover in Paris.) The open jaw idea is probably easier to arrange these days but try both.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight to Paris and London

And open jaw might not save you money (although it probably will) but it will certainly give you an extra day of vacation rather than having to hustle back to your arrival city to get a flight home.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
264 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight to Paris and London

I agree with the others. I am doing open-jaw in a few weeks, flying into Paris for a little over a week and taking the Eurostar to London to spend a few days before flying out of LHR. I played around with the different combinations of flights, and ultimately I felt this was the most efficient (least costly) and stress-free way to do it and see both cities.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight to Paris and London

We often fly into Paris, then go Eurostar to London and fly home from LHR or visa versa.. Well worth it doing it that way than going back and forth , example arrive Paris, leave from Paris. We tried that years ago, one time, and that was enough.

USA
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight to Paris and London

Hi thanks for the info! What is the open jaw thing and how do I find those kinds of flights? I did a little web searching but to fly from the US to Paris and then fly home from London I had to buy 2- 1 way tickets and it was expensive.

We had sort of planned to take the Euro Star from Paris to London (my 17 year old son thought going under the Channel was cool)

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
389 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight to Paris and London

Martha - just use the Multi City function/option in your flight search (usually within "more options") and it should just work like a normal round trip ticket. I did that last year, flying into London and out of Paris and it was pretty much the same price (maybe $70 more) than a normal roundtrip. I am doing the same again this year flying into Paris and out of Frankfurt and the price was exactly the same as doing a Paris roundtrip! Good luck !

USA
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight to Paris and London

Hello thanks for you response I did see the option of flying round trip from Columbia SC to DC as first stop and then Paris as a second stop and then on to London and we would just get off in Paris and not take the London leg of the flight but I thought with a of the post 9/11 restrictions that I might get in trouble. Is that not the case? It was a pretty reasonably priced flight and it would be great for flying out. Not so great for flying back from London because there would be an extra stop on the way back to make the flight longer.

USA
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight to Paris and London

thanks I will try your suggestion. We are very excited about the trip, we are taking our son to celebrate his high school graduation next May. we have an apartment in London already but are still looking for a place to stay in Paris.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight to Paris and London

You can't book a trip that you happen to like the look of and then not bother to board the last segment. If you do that you will probably find that your return ticket has been cancelled. Also assuming that you have checked luggage it will arrive in London while you are looking fior it in Paris.

Use the multi-city function as suggested or pick up the phone and call the airlines/agencies to discuss the possible routings. You can easily travel open jaw or with a stopover. We usually travel using the first option and occasionally using the second.