We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed:Would a wool jacket be too warm for September?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
145 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed:Would a wool jacket be too warm for September?

Hi all,

Coming from a tropical country with temperatures at an average of 30C+ all year long, I am quite at a lost as to the appropriate wear for my upcoming trip late September. I plan to walk a lot and am worried that I might be uncomfortably cold while walking the streets of Paris.

I understand that most of you who live in 4 season countries will probably only be needing a light jacket, but I guess my question is this – will I be the only one on the street wearing a wool coat at this time of year??

I used to live in the UK for awhile some 7 years back, and remember dressing in my favourite black wool 3/4 coat in , autumn, winter and spring. Will the weather be similar?

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
489 reviews
from US$73.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$109.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
584 reviews
from US$51.80*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.10*
US$335.60
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,531 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed:Would a wool jacket be too warm for September?

This may help

Paris Weather in September

Minimum temperature: 13 degrees C (55.4 degrees F)

Maximum temperature: 21 degrees C (69.8 degrees F)

Average temperature: 15 degrees C (59 degrees F)

Average rainfall: 53 millimeters (2.1 inches)

When we were there mid to late June (temps maybe 2 degrees warmer) all the Parisiennes were wearing long pants or a skirt, a pretty top and everyone, but everyone, had a jacket. They might have been wearing it or carrying it. Quite often a short, fitted jacket, or a leather one, rarely a 3/4 wool coat, sometimes a trench though.

I would go lightweight coat/jacket with the ability to layer underneath with a sweater or long sleeved blouse. And of course, the obligatory and gorgeous scarves.

liverpool ny
Level Contributor
237 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed:Would a wool jacket be too warm for September?

I was recently in Paris in early October and never needed a coat. It was beautiful.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed:Would a wool jacket be too warm for September?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I am leaving for Paris next Thursday and will be there until the end of September - I also live in a tropical climate where cold weather gear is something pretty unheard of.....

I am packing layers - skirts with (or without) leggings, light tops that can be layered with a sweater or the one black fleece jacket I own (and that I took to Paris last year in February - I layered then in about 5 layers!!)....

I've been trying to keep up with the weather and today it appears that it was in the 70's farenheit (if I'm looking it up correctly) - during the day - so I'm waiting until maybe Tuesday next week to finalize my packing - things can change quickly and in a 2 week period of time it can change a lot it appears.

If I need something warmer when I'm there, I will purchase something, but hoping that layers will work!

I don't know about wool - personally I would have liked that last year in the early spring when we went - but this time of year - I don't know.....I'm sure others who are more familiar with the weather right now will help us out!

Have a great time - I know you will - I can't wait!

Malama Pono (take care)

Janet

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed:Would a wool jacket be too warm for September?

Even if the rest of the world thinks the weather is beautiful someone who is used to temperatures above 30 degrees all year round will be cold in Paris in September - I know I was. The temperatures that Lynn has listed are normal winter temperatures where I live (and I consider winter to be cold!!) and the OP is used to even warmer than that.

If you really want to take your wool coat you will probably get the opportunity to wear it outdoors in the evening. However if travelling light is important to you I think you would get more use out of a lightweight coat layered over sweaters and long sleeved shirts as Lynn and koloagirl suggested.

Scarves are considered obligatory for any season in Paris! ;-)

Edited: 09 September 2011, 03:23
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
145 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed:Would a wool jacket be too warm for September?

Thanks all. Was definitely good to hear the opinion of people from similar climates!

Layers - Cardis, long sleeves, leggings, and of course scarves - will definitely be my staples there. My only issue will be outer wear. When I was living in UK though, I remember being cold in early autumn even with layers plus lightweight/leather jackets!!

Travelling light is important, but I guess staying warm is a higher priority. If I do decide to wear my wool coat though… will I be roasting hot inside it instead? I suppose I would stick out like a sore thumb?

Is it easier to layer things on as it gets colder (in which case I’ll wear my lightweight jacket and keep spare layers of long sleeves, cardigan in my handbag) or to take things off when it gets too warm? (In which case I’ll bring my wool coat and take it off & hang it over my arm when it gets too warm.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed:Would a wool jacket be too warm for September?

Probably anyone used to balmier temps all year round will feel much chillier in cooler Paris weather than someone used to four seasons.

That said, I live in New England and still appreciate warmer outerwear when it's chilly. I've been to Paris many times mid-late September and always pack a cashmere cardigan (which doubles as a dressy top with a camisole underneath) and my hooded raincoat. I wear a polartec on the plane (very nice on chilly planes), which also layers nicely under the raincoat. If we're planning any dressier dining spots, I also bring my black cashmere blazer (which also layers nicely over the sweater and under the raincoat).

Late September, I typically need two or three layers every day (though usually add/remove all day long). There has been the occasional day or two of warm weather when only one layer was required, sometimes not until after sunset. But, more often than that, three layers were perfect.

It all depends on your tolerance for chilly weather. Temps will seem much cooler when the sun isn't shining and/or it's breezy/windy throughout the day. I've found that the ubiquitous layers are best for being comfortable while out and about and not having to curtail activities due to not having adequate outerwear.

If you want to enjoy Paris (comfortably) as the sun rises or moonlight strolls (along with open air bus/boat rides), be prepared with the proper outerwear.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed:Would a wool jacket be too warm for September?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Layers, layers, and yet more layers! I think that if I figure on doing that (albeit with lighter things than the turtlenecks, long underwear, etc. that I wore last year under a jacket every day) - it will more than likely work.

I know that once you went inside someplace warm, you immediately started overheating and started shedding layers - so for me, I'd rather have a couple/three layers of light clothing/jacket than a heavy wool one - but again, that is me and I don't travel with blazers, and other outerwear other than the aforementioned black fleece jacket. We don't eat out anyplace dressy, so that isn't a concern as it more than likely would be for others as well.

Ah, I have a weekend ahead of me laying out clothes and then discarding or packing - with one suitcase shared between my husband and myself (and a roller carry-on) - I have to be frugal with my clothing - after all, I want plenty of room to bring things back as well!! LOL

I also enjoy reading posts from others in tropical climes that may not have the extensive cold weather wardrobe that other people might normally have in their wardrobes.

Great info!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed:Would a wool jacket be too warm for September?

Another vote for layers. It's been grey and cool this week, so a light jacket has been nice in the mornings and evenings, but it's nowhere near cool enough for wool (as a lifelong resident of Florida my blood is still very thin)

In answer to your question, yes, you'll be the only one wearing wool this time of year.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice needed:Would a wool jacket be too warm for September?

Weather in Paris & London is very similar, so yes, wear what you might have needed when living in London. You will also know that in this part of the world weather is unpredictable .

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice needed:Would a wool jacket be too warm for September?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Well, we are spending a day and a half in London at the end of our trip - so I have a feeling I am going to be cold during that time!!

I'll just have to put on more........layers!!

I have a feeling I will be purchasing an umbrella somewhere on this trip as well!

Malama Pono (take care)

Janet