We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to buy spices as gifts?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
68 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to buy spices as gifts?

We are in Paris and having a great time. We are in an apt., close to Avenue de Ternes and Avenue Macmahon close to the Arche de Triomphe. I would like to buy some Hebes de Provence, Fleur de Sel, etc. to take home and as gifts. Can anyone recommend the best shops, area of town for this? I would like to get them in some nice jars, as opposed to a commercial package like you see in some of the grocery stores like Leader Price (which btw, is a great place to buy cheap groceries, wine, etc.).

Merci!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
132 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to buy spices as gifts?

There is a Hediard shop next to George V Hotel and Courcelles metro, which isn't too far away.

Paris
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to buy spices as gifts?

You might enjoy visiting Albert Menes boutique, just north of the Madeleine. They specialize in artisanal products including spices (and much less touristy than Hediard and Fauchon).

http://www.albertmenes.fr/boutique-paris.html

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,222 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to buy spices as gifts?

The Bon Marche Grand Epicerie has a great selection of sea salts in beautiful packaging. Herbs too. But, my friends and relatives have been very very happy with the sea salt from Regis at the Bastille Marche' and the cans of foie gras they sell there.

For personal use, if the packaging doesnt have to be as pretty, but you want high quality at good prices, G Detou in Les Halles.

suitcaseready.com

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to buy spices as gifts?

There is a tiny spice shop at 30 r. Tiquetonne in the 2nd called Epicerie Bruno, that stocks some really good spices. I bought some saffron there in January that was incredible.

You could combine a trip there with a stop at G. Detou and bring home some seriously good stuff...

Edited: 20 September 2011, 15:52
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,222 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to buy spices as gifts?

I wish I could remember where the other spice shop I found was - maybe on Montorgueil? It was a Middle Eastern shop with large containers of spices, herbs.... There was another more touristy one on Ile de la Cite'

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
330 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to buy spices as gifts?

I second the Le Bon Marche Grand Epicurie. I brought herbs and spices back that were much appreciated as gifts to my foodie friends. But there is so much else in the store that I was able to knock out the lion's share of my gift buying plus enjoy myself looking at all the wonderful food items. I can also speak to the chocolates - there were a few that did not make it home as gifts as I couldn't resist. I bought a bottle of Absinthe too. It's a great store in a great location.

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to buy spices as gifts?

Because it was convenient for many gifts, I went to the Galeries Lafayette food court. I'm not a "foodie" but my boss is, so I needed help with an assortment. A lovely "Spice Master" (I'm sure there is a fancier name for this), helped me pick out several special blends they had, one each for fish, poultry and meat. They have pretty little bottles and various sized racks, as well as the packets, to choose. Topped it all off with a nice apron and my boss loved it.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,418 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to buy spices as gifts?

Has anyone ever been to this spice shop, Epices Roellinger, at 51 bis rue Saint Anne, 75002?

http://www.epices-roellinger.com/page/accueil

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to buy spices as gifts?

If you're in the 4th arrondissement, there's Izrael, at 30 Rue François Miron, just off rue de Rivoli at rue du Pont Louis-Phillippe, between the Hotel de Ville metro stop and the St. Paul metro stop (but closer to St. Paul). It's a tiny place, but just full of many different spices and other things too.

Sandy

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
68 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to buy spices as gifts?

We ended up at the Epicerie @ Bon Marche and found all we needed. We were in the area anyway. We bought Herbes de Provence, Fleur de sel, salted caramels and cocoa dusted almonds. Enough for our friends and a little for us!

Thanks to all for your suggestions!