We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paris is friendly!

ipswich
Level Contributor
366 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
paris is friendly!

We have just returned from a wonderful weekend in Paris, and I can confirm that everyone we met was wonderful - friendly, warm and very hospitable - we loved it! Thats all!

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: paris is friendly!

Good on you Louise!Glad you enjoyed it.And on our recent visits we've experienced the same.The infamous grumpy waiters are very rare these days.Though we always found them somehow amusing!

ipswich
Level Contributor
366 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: paris is friendly!

We had nothing but nice encounters, one waiter chased us two streets to return something we left in the restaurant! We also walked about late at night, and asked directions from people, who all gave us directions - we were not robbed, and we went everywhere - on the Metro, to the Sacre Couer, the Louvre, The Eiffel Tower, etc etc - I was very heartened and just fell in love with the city! I hope we can go back again soon!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
980 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: paris is friendly!

Glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you say it !

Try to stay longer next time. :)

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: paris is friendly!

My own input after several visits to Paris for both business and pleasure is that you should go beyond their expectations. In other words, say good morning/evening "bon jour" "bon soir"...do not go into a shop with buying something, or at least say "merci" before you leave. Smile. Try to be on your best behavior and mind your manners. Say please and thank you in any language. It sounds very "corny" but it is amazing how far good attitude and manners will get you in Paris and all of France. Bon Voyage!

ipswich
Level Contributor
366 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: paris is friendly!

I smile all day every day and I also loev to speak to people, so that probably helped! We love how the word "Bonjour" is so musically pronounced! I never expected to fall so in love with a city so quickly - guess Paris really is the most romantic city in the world!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: paris is friendly!

Please do not assume that you are under any obligation to buy something!

It is polite to say bonjour and au revoir as you enter and leave a store, but there is no obligation (moral or otherwise) to make a purchase. If they have nothing you like, or no prices you like, thank them, say au revoir, and leave.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: paris is friendly!

Hi there

Glad you had a good time. Never had a bad experience in Paris and it justs makes me green with envy that I can't "pop" over for the weekend!!

Kind Regards

Merran

8. Re: paris is friendly!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 13:17