We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Hemingways

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Port Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
451 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Hemingways

We would like to have a cocktail at Hemingways on our last evening in Paris tomorrow.

My wife would like to get dressed up and as such will be wearing high heels and therefore is not really relishing a 1.8km walk. I'm a little hesitant about getting a taxi so I was wondering how close we can get to the Ritz/Place Vendome via Metro or bus.

I've checked on the RATP but because they don't show Place Vendome on either the Metro or bus plan, I really don't know which to take.

Can anyone suggest the best mode from Rue des Beaux Arts.

Edited: 05 October 2011, 17:26
the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,698 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Hemingways

From the rue des Beaux Arts, you have to walk quite a bit to the metro, then change lines before another short hike to the Place Vendome. Its not long, but if 1,8km is too much in her heels, I don't think this is much better.

I recently took my dress heels to the cobbler and asked how to best protect them on the Paris streets (cobble stones can destroy a fine heel in a matter of minutes). He looked at me in utter shock and exclaimed, "But Madame, you do not walk in these shoes. you leave your apartment, you get into a taxi. When you arrive, you go into the restaurant and look fabulous."

I'm not sure why you're reluctant to take a cab, but this would be a light fare (certainnly less than 1 drink), and you'd get the thrill of actually driving up to the Ritz, which is kind of fun.

Port Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
451 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Hemingways

That is too funny.

My wife just told me the heels from our walk last night to a friends hotel on Ile St. Louis look like a dog chewed them as well as being white and dusty.

As for the taxi, I'm not that against it but, can we just flag one down as I'm not sure if it would be to our advantage to call G7 and book one for a certain time. I would think it would be cheaper to hail one if that could infact be even done.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,788 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Hemingways

Flats for walking / heels for drinking. Put 'em in a bag and change when you get there.

Pjk

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Hemingways

Yes, one drinks so much better in heels.

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,960 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Hemingways

Great info so far.

In NYC, there are plenty of women who wear flats to walk and change into nicer shoes or heels once they reach the office or resto, etc. So if you choose to walk (and I think it would be a really lovely walk), then that's an idea.

Here is some taxi info from a previous post that will be pretty helpful for you. Thanks to RendezvousParis who researched it all for the OP. (IF you are staying at a hotel, of course, the front desk will get a taxi for you):

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k46857…

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
7,933 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Hemingways

Hire a limo for the night and really surprise her.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Hemingways

I like wrappido's style ... Splash out for the limo and make it a REALLY memorable occasion!

Port Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
451 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Hemingways

PJK

My wife is laughing right now as I type.

That was my suggestion. I think that is the purpose of a purse so long as it can fit the bag the shoes are in because you couldn't possibly put them in your purse (my wife's talking here) after walking on the streets of Paris.

I think we will walk (that's what I wanted to do in the first place) and she can change just before we go in and it will look like she walked there in the heels and all will be impressed.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Hemingways

A limo will not impress at the Ritz. It would impress at McDonald's.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Hemingways

Who cares about the Ritz? Impress the wife and get major brownie points!