We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 night, and 2 full days in Paris

New York
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
1 night, and 2 full days in Paris

Hi - Can someone critic my iten below? Opinions appreciated - we plan to fill our schedule tightly but not necessary to go to every single place on the list.

Night 1 - we arrive Orly at 5:30 from Rome, so probably just go to our hotel, and go see the night view of the Eiffel Tower and grab dinner somewhere.

Day 1 - Walk to Arc de Triomphe and have breakfast along the way - walk down Champs-Elysee Avenue to Grand Palais/Petit Palais, then take the metro to Notre-Dame Cathedrale - then walk to the Louvre across the Pont Neuf bridge (have lunch around the way) - afternoon visit of the Louvre and Jardin de Tulliere (next to the Louvre), afterwards walk along the Seine river and have dinner.

Day 2 - take the RER to Chateau de Versailles (get there by 9am) - come back in afternoon and take the Musee d'Orsay, then take a river cruise or go to Moulin Rouge area

Any sugguestions on additional place I should go visit? Or do you think Day 2 should be spent IN paris - and go see other places?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
119,287 Reviews
Paris, France
Arc de Triomphe
Arc de Triomphe
37,412 Reviews
Paris, France
Grand Palais
Grand Palais
1,752 Reviews
Paris, France
France Louvre
France Louvre
295 Reviews
Paris, France
Seine River
Seine River
23,947 Reviews
Paris, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Musee d'Orsay
Musee d'Orsay
56,018 Reviews
Paris, France
Moulin Rouge
Moulin Rouge
11,296 Reviews
Paris, France
Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 night, and 2 full days in Paris

Have your breakfast near your hotel, wherever it is, as prices near/ on the Champs Elysees are outrageous. Any special reason to go to the Grand and Petit Palais (a temporary exhibition?). from these unfortunately named places (they aren't palaces at all) you are only a 5-10 minutes walk to the Concorde square and the western Entrance of the Tuileries gardens, with the Louvre at its eastern end, 10 minutes away.

You can do all that and see the Louvre (a few things anyway as one can spend months there) around lunch time.

In the afternoon you can see Notre Dame, the Latin quarter and the St Germain area plus another area too

Going to Versailles or not is something that only you can decide. How much do you know about it? what are your expectations etc.? its also depends on the weather..

Versailles (castles---there are several of them-- plus grounds) is a HUGE place and it takes most of the day at a leisurely place. No time left for Orsay museum afterwards.

Mentioned in this post
Champs-Elysees
Champs-Elysees
17,295 Reviews
Paris, France
France Louvre
France Louvre
295 Reviews
Paris, France
Hotel Saint Germain
Hotel Saint Germain
919 Reviews
Paris, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
6,096 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 night, and 2 full days in Paris

Day 1: I would swtich the order, to Notre Dame - Pont Neuf - Louvre - Tuileries - Champs Elysees - Arc de Triomphe. This way, you should be done with the Louvre by early afternoon and enjoy an unhurried walk to the Arc (which is really pretty at night, so no rush to get there)

Day 2: I would not be able to stomach any museum after Versailles. So I would either do Versailles OR Musee d'Orsay, then River Cruise in the evening (prettiest after dark).

As far as whether to see Versailles or not, it's up to you. If you don't go, you could start the day with Musee d'Orsay, explore the Left Bank (including Luxembourg Gardens, rue Moffetard, St. Suplice, St. Germain des Pres, do some shopping along the way...) ...Spend the afternoon in Montmartre (lots to do there as well), and end the evening with your cruise. But Versailles is a really cool day trip, so it depends on your pferences.

Mentioned in this post
France Louvre
France Louvre
295 Reviews
Paris, France
Champs-Elysees
Champs-Elysees
17,295 Reviews
Paris, France
Arc de Triomphe
Arc de Triomphe
37,412 Reviews
Paris, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Musee d'Orsay
Musee d'Orsay
56,018 Reviews
Paris, France
Luxembourg Gardens
Luxembourg Gardens
30,636 Reviews
Paris, France
Hotel Saint Germain des Pres
Hotel Saint Germain des...
340 Reviews
Paris, France
Montmartre
Montmartre
15,704 Reviews
Paris, France
New York
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 night, and 2 full days in Paris

My hotel is in the champ elysee area. Like 3 blocks away from arc de triomphe..is the louvre and notre dame crowded in the mornings? A friend told me that thats the majority time where tour buses drop ppl off? Also, i guess i should buy the 2 day museum pass especially if im heading to versaille right?

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,878 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 night, and 2 full days in Paris

We used the museum pass extensively in our recent visit. We always tried to visit the museums in the morning, as close to opening as possible and found the lines quite short. As a matter of fact, for the Louvre we visited on a Wed. evening around 6 pm, just breezed in through the Porte de Richelieu entrance. We then visited the Louvre one morning, around 10 am, again absolutely no line up at the Porte de Richelieu entrance. My recommendation for the Louvre is to definitely determine before your visit what you want to see, you can get an audio guide once inside and use their map. Unless you just want to wander. There is so much to see.

As for the Notre Dame cathedral, we were there around 10:30/11:00 am, there was a line to enter the cathedral but it moved very quickly. But the line to climb up the stairs was extremely long and moved at a snails pace.

Mentioned in this post
France Louvre
France Louvre
295 Reviews
Paris, France
Cafe Richelieu at the Musee du Louvre
Cafe Richelieu at the...
286 Reviews
Paris, France
Notre Dame Cathedral
Notre Dame Cathedral
61,811 Reviews
Paris, France
New York
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 night, and 2 full days in Paris

Which river cruise do you suggest? Bataux Mouges? Is the dinner portion worth it? my last dinner night river cruise (bangkok) left a sour tastes in my mouth...that wasn't worth it =P

Will be going beginning of November, so hopefully the chilly weather mean not packed like sardines everywhere...

New York
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 night, and 2 full days in Paris

3CONILS...you mentioned eating around Champ Elysee is expensive...can you suggest an area to dine where it's moderate? - especially since we'd be getting in to our hotel late the first night, I don't want to spend forever looking for a dinner place.

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 night, and 2 full days in Paris

My first trip to Paris was just for two days. I would recommend only going to one museum (Personally, I prefer the Orsay over the Louvre as it's smaller and less overwhelming).

I would also recommend (if you have never been to Paris before) taking something like the Sandeman's free walking tour. You get a great overview of the city and see a lot in a very short amount of time.

As far as Versailles goes, that will probably take at least a full day (including travel time). And you will be exhausted afterwards. I'd skip it since your time in the city is so short.

If the weather is nice, you are not going to want to spend a lot of time indoors. Trust me on this! Enjoy the city, take some time to sit in a cafe and know that there is no way to see a lot in just two days.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France Louvre
France Louvre
295 Reviews
Paris, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Anacortes...
Level Contributor
2,932 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 night, and 2 full days in Paris

For the river cruise, I would suggest the Vedettes du Pont Neuf boats that leave from the Isle de la Cite. http://www.vedettesdupontneuf.com/ If you print out your tickets ahead of time you get a discount, and if you pay for them online you get a bigger discount. You can use the tickets anytime, so you can easily fit the trip into your schedule.

Mentioned in this post
Vedettes du Pont Neuf
Vedettes du Pont Neuf
1,481 Reviews
Paris, France
New Delhi
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 night, and 2 full days in Paris

Would recommend you do the river cruise when you visit the Eiffel Tower.. There are cruises leaving from the foot of the tower, we infact took a cruise after dinner and enjoyed it thoroughly.

On one of our days we reached the Luxembourg gardens, and then walked to the Pantheon and Notre dame; there are some nice restaurants by the river there ... post lunch we covered the Montmartre area visiting the Sacre-Coeur, Place du Tertre,Moulin rouge..

The second day if you're keen, leave for Versailles early morning so that you can be back by 3-4pm to head straight to the Louvre/ Musee d'Orsay, If its a Wednesday or a Friday, Louvre would be open late into the evening..

My husband and I felt the highlights of our trip was the cruise at night and the Versailles trip. We did of course enjoy everything else too :)

My suggestion would be that you should start from the furthest point (figure out how to reach there)... in the end when u get tired, you're closer to home..hotel :) You'll be surprised what all you can cover..

Have a good trip..

Mentioned in this post
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
119,287 Reviews
Paris, France
Pantheon
Pantheon
3,598 Reviews
Paris, France
Montmartre
Montmartre
15,704 Reviews
Paris, France
Place du Tertre
Place du Tertre
957 Reviews
Paris, France
Moulin Rouge
Moulin Rouge
11,296 Reviews
Paris, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
France Louvre
France Louvre
295 Reviews
Paris, France
Musee d'Orsay
Musee d'Orsay
56,018 Reviews
Paris, France
10. Re: 1 night, and 2 full days in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 09:21