We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip from Paris

florida
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
day trip from Paris

Have just one day for day trip from Paris. Should I go to Champagne or Burgundy? Anybody been to both? Any suggestions? Thank you-Jan

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,911 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip from Paris

Reims is probably the easier of the two - just an hour on the train, and about 30 euros per person if you book ahead.

What about all of the other day trips you can do from Paris -- Versailles, Giverny, Chantilly, Provins, Vaux-le-Vicomte, Fontainebleau, the Loire Valley, etc., etc, etc.?

florida
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip from Paris

Thank you for your reply. I thought the Loire Valley was farther than Burgundy. Have you been to both? which do you recommend>?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,911 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip from Paris

For a single day trip, I'd recommend Reims -- as before, it's only an hour on the TGV, and you can reach several of the major houses on foot. The office of tourism (www.reims-tourisme.com ) has English-speaking staff, and they can help you book tours via phone or email.

There's the fabulous cathedral, too, which celebrates its 800th anniversary this week, and where all of France's kings (save 2) were crowned -- so a champagne cellar, a leisurely lunch, and a visit to the cathedral (and the amazing museum next door at the Bishop's Palace -- both UNESCO World Heritage Sites) makes a very pleasant day out.

The Loire is two hours each way by train -- Dijon is anywhere from 1-1/2 to 3 hours each way, depending on the routing...and out of a 10-hour day, it makes a big difference.

Dijon's tourism site is www.visitdijon.com/en -- but I don't believe it's possible to visit cellars in Dijon proper -- you'd have to take a wine tour for that. (I'll bow to local experts on that one)

Essex
Level Contributor
28,186 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip from Paris

The Loire Valley is closer than Burgundy - how dd I know??

Looked at a map!!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
980 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip from Paris

Loire Valley and Burgundy are wide, rich and diverse areas that need at least 2 days to just have a glimpse at.

For a one day only trip, Reims would seem much more sensible.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,911 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip from Paris

and how did I know how long the trains take? I looked the schedules up!

There are some trains as fast as an hour -- but there are plenty more that are closer to 2 hours. YMMV

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,989 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trip from Paris

If you want to go to the Loire and see Chenonceau and one or maybe two other châteaux it can be done as a day trip from Paris if you take the TGV there (takes just over 1 hour from Paris). There are tours that depart from the tourist office in Tours that will take you to the famous châteaux etc. Check these links to the Tours tourist office website:

www.tours-tourisme.fr/excursions_en.php?id=4

www.tours-tourisme.fr/excursions_en.php?id=9

Make sure you take the TGV that arrives in Tours Centre, not Saint-Pierre- des-Corps, since the tours depart from the tourist office which is next to the TGV station Tours Centre. You can purchase TGV tickets as much as 90 days in advance. The earlier you buy your tickets the cheaper it is. Buy your tickets from the website www.tgv-europe.com. Do not enter the USA as your home country or you will be redirected to the RailEurope website, which has higher ticket prices and doesn't list all the train times. Enter Antarctica or some other non-English speaking country as your home country. I just entered a random date almost three months out and tickets right now are about 24 euros each way. You'd want the TGV that leaves at 7:38AM. Here's the link to give you an idea:

http://tinyurl.com/3ppcprq

All that being said, this would certainly be one of the pricier day trips. But if you just have to visit the Loire as a day trip from Paris this is your cheapest and most time efficient option.

That being said there are dozens of day trips you could make within an hour train ride from Paris that are all worthwhile and much cheaper than a day trip to the Loire or Burgundy.

Enter the words "day trip from Paris" or "Paris day trip" into the search engine here and you'll find hundreds of threads on the topic of day trips from Paris to start your research. Here's my standard response:

Provins (walled medieval town), Chantilly (wonderful château), Senlis (small medieval town can be combined with a visit to Chantilly), Reims (champage tours, great historic cathedral, museums), Epernay (champagne tours, can be combined with Reims), Fontainebleau (château, nice old town), Versailles (obvious), Vaux-le-Vicomte (the château after which Louis XIV based his garden renovations for Versailles), Rouen (small city, lots to do, wonderful cathedral, medieval old center), Giverny (Monet's house and gardens), Troyes (medieval small city), Chartres (the famous cathedral and wonderful old town), Compiègne (château with museums, wonderful old town). Strasbourg, Lille, Dijon etc., etc.

Some smaller places to visit could be Auvers-sur-Oise (Van Gogh history), Moret-sur-Loing (medieval town), Sceaux (lovely park and château turned museum), Saint-Germain-en-Laye (former royal town with museum in a château devoted to pre-history), Malmaison (former royal town with château of the Empress Josephine). These are some (but not all) of the more popular day trips from Paris.

8. Re: day trip from Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 17:18