We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning to Those Seeking Hotel Recommendations

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,078 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Warning to Those Seeking Hotel Recommendations

If you have posted a question here on TA asking for advice regarding hotels, be informed that most people who respond are sincere. Either they have stayed at the hotel they are recommending to you, or they know friends who have, or they have personal knowledge about its suitability for the person seeking advice. However, there are a few people who seem to be employed by the hotel industry and they just provide random lists of hotels that have nothing to do with, or very little to do with, the kind of information that is being sought.

If you've asked for a hotel recommendation in the Latin Quarter and have been given a link to a hotel in the 2nd arr, for example, you're being played a bit by someone who's being compensated to publicize a certain hotel or group of hotels.

This doesn't mean that all posters here agree with where it's "best" to stay. It doesn't mean that you won't find someone who suggests staying in the 2nd over staying in the Latin Qtr. But it means you should be a bit discerning about whose advice you consider. If it's a random list that has nothing to do with your post, look into it further.

Perhaps check to see what other posts the advice-giver has participated in. You can do this by clicking on the username. Are the vast majority of posts having to do with lodging, and is each post basically a list of links to hotels? That's a red flag.

Often, people here will respond with a list of hotel links. (I know I've done that. ) And if you haven't been to Paris before, it's harder to determine whether the lists are legit or not. So ask follow up questions when needed.

I noticed this problem again today on the forum, and I'm putting this out there in hopes of helping new posters separate bad info from good. As I said, we don't always agree here, but most of us offer information based on our observations and experience. It really rankles me to see otherwise.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning to Those Seeking Hotel Recommendations

thank you mcal.... I'd seen your earlier post questioning the hotel suggestions of a poster, but jadn't done the math. How right you are.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,628 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning to Those Seeking Hotel Recommendations

Good post, mcal.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning to Those Seeking Hotel Recommendations

And unfortunately, those of us who live in Paris are generally the ones with either no or just hearsay knowledge of the local hotels. We often suggest areas but have never stayed in the hotels there in the last 20 years or so;

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,078 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning to Those Seeking Hotel Recommendations

Thanks, Phread and Sunshine817.

Yes, kerouac2, we rely so much on the good advice of Paris residents, but it makes sense that they don't stay in local hotels often. i guess that's where the honest advice of fellow tourists can come in handy. So I'm just trying to keep it honest!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
975 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning to Those Seeking Hotel Recommendations

It's is an interesting post, mcal3k !

Like Kerouac2, I'm unable to give any useful first-hand advice about hotels in Paris as, when I have to find accommodation for friends, it's always in my neighbourhood which isn't really known by tourists, even if it's only a 5 mins walk to rue Mouffetard, plus access to metro line 7 and several bus lines next door (but prices about 30% lower!).

Being rather new to this forum, I've been quite surprised to see some replies recommending hotels in a completely different area to what the OP asked for.

This is why I find your post very useful, and I hope that many people will read it.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,078 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning to Those Seeking Hotel Recommendations

I hope so too, Paul_Hamelin, and I hope it can deter some who are posting under false pretenses--or at least make them aware that we recognize the deception.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning to Those Seeking Hotel Recommendations

This issue was discussed recently in the Support Forum and the guidelines are pretty clear.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k4860774-…

Do note that if one particular member is using the forum to solicit business, TA Staff have noted it can be reported (see TA Staff post).

L4

Israel
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning to Those Seeking Hotel Recommendations

Unfortunately, this thread will only be seen by a relatively small number of people, those who are in current search of a hotel.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
185 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning to Those Seeking Hotel Recommendations

I agree with #8. There should be a specific TA Forum on how to best shift through all of the advice on TA. If something like this actually exists, please let me know. Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning to Those Seeking Hotel Recommendations

I've mentioned the Support Forum in Post 7 which is for help in using the site or discussing issues that come up, links to various TA departments, etc.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i12105-TripAdvis…

The HUMTAB Forum (Help Us Make TripAdvisor Better) is for suggestions for improving the site itself.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i12104-Help_us_m…

L4