We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to Paris-areas to avoid and best restaurants pls!

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
First Trip to Paris-areas to avoid and best restaurants pls!

Hi

My partner and I are looking to visit Paris for the first time in November but we keep reading worrying blogs/stories about red light districts and scary areas after dark which is putting us off! (how can we go for a meal in the evening when we could be scared to walk back to our hotel??!)

We are thinking of staying in the 8th, 16th or possibly 18th arrondisement?

Please help! Thank you.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,045 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First Trip to Paris-areas to avoid and best restaurants pls!

malcj_11, I wonder if your experience was due to the language barrier. It sounds like some conversations I have had with French people who seemed not unfriendly, but maybe brusque when they were trying to speak to me in English, but when they discovered that I could understand French they suddenly became much more friendly. I think it's just hard to carry on a fluent conversation in a language you are not fluent in and may or may not use much. I probably sound the same to French people, but they've all been very understanding of my attempts to speak their language. The waiters/waitresses were even very patient with my 11 year old daughter ordering in French, and she didn't speak any French. I would have to translate all their questions for her.

To the OP, we stayed in an apartment near Luxembourg Gardens and never felt unsafe going to various tourist attractions and coming back around 11PM or so. That was me (female), my sister, my mother, and my daughter.

SoCal
Level Contributor
452 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First Trip to Paris-areas to avoid and best restaurants pls!

Why would anyone be offended by this question? Every city on the planet has areas to be avoided and the OP is simply doing due diligence by asking.

We were there a few weeks ago and stayed in the 8th. Restaurant-wise I don't think it's the best choice but we always felt safe. I will say that it was a bit annoying to be hit up by the SAME gypsy two different days at the Place de Concorde with his gold ring scam. You'd think a professional scammer would make the effort to not go after the same people twice...he became quite angry with us when we laughed at him the second time but I did not feel in any danger.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
185 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First Trip to Paris-areas to avoid and best restaurants pls!

Like #3 and #9, I've never felt unsafe in Paris. However, do a search on the Paris Forum using words such as "safety," "crime," "dangerous" etc. to get more feedback.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,696 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First Trip to Paris-areas to avoid and best restaurants pls!

I have felt unsafe in Paris. Last week Metromole (we both live here) mentioned avoiding the Champs Elysees after 1 am, and especially as the bars get out. I agree and feel the same way about the Les Halles area. And when I'm out on my own, I avoid the red light districts.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
8,979 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First Trip to Paris-areas to avoid and best restaurants pls!

Trouble is, all the best restaurants are in the areas to avoid. D'oh. ;(

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
8,979 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: First Trip to Paris-areas to avoid and best restaurants pls!

"they've all been very understanding of my attempts to speak their language."

; and therein lies the key. I am constantly amazed by anglophone tourists visiting a foreign country who automatically assume that everybody will speak English. They make absolutely no effort to attempt even the most basic common courtesies and then are amazed that they are not received like long lost family. It does not take a unversity degree in languages to learn common greetings and how to say 'please' and 'thank you'.

Sorry to bang on about this, but I think it displays such a lack of respect for the indigenous population and perpetrates the idea that 'you are here to serve me, it is not my responsibility. I have paid good money to come here'

(and relax)

Paris
Level Contributor
2,870 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: First Trip to Paris-areas to avoid and best restaurants pls!

I agree with Phread; I live in a safe, sedate neighborhood near Parc Monceau, but if I need to be out late at night I take a taxi home. You would probably be safer actually in a livelier area, even in a red-light district.

18. Re: First Trip to Paris-areas to avoid and best restaurants pls!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 15:17