We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chantilly, Vaux-le-Vicomte or Fountainebleu?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Chantilly, Vaux-le-Vicomte or Fountainebleu?

I've never been to any of those palaces and have time to squeeze in JUST one on my next trip to Paris. Which is /easiest to get to from Paris? Which castle/grounds is best to see?

Thanks!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,277 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chantilly, Vaux-le-Vicomte or Fountainebleu?

Fontainebleau is by far the easiest to get to via public transport.

The other two are reachable via public transport (depending on the time of year), but it's more complicated than Fontainebleau.

Ohio
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chantilly, Vaux-le-Vicomte or Fountainebleu?

Sounds like a plan. I'll start researching.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,795 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chantilly, Vaux-le-Vicomte or Fountainebleu?

Vaux le Vicomte is my favorite -- but Fountainebleau is a LOT easier to get to -- I drove to Chantilly but I think it is also fairly easy to get to from Paris by Train

My order of preference is Vaux, Fountainebleau, Chantilly

You can see our visit to Vaux le Vicomte on my travel blog under 'My Last Chateau' www.janettravels.wordpress.com -- our visits to the others were before I started the blog so they are not shown there but I'll bet other people's travel blogs showcase them

Ohio
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chantilly, Vaux-le-Vicomte or Fountainebleu?

Thanks Janette! I look forward to reading your trip report.

Edited: 26 October 2011, 18:00
Ohio
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chantilly, Vaux-le-Vicomte or Fountainebleu?

OK, I just checked the website of Vaux-Le-Vicomte and it will be closed when I'm in Paris so that's out.

According to the website, to get to Fontainebleau: from the Gare de Lyon (main line), take the train for either Montargis Sens or Montereau, alighting at Fontainebleau-Avon station, then take the ‘Ligne A’ bus destined for Les Lilas, alighting at the ‘Château’ stop.

Is it possible to walk from the train station to the castle or is the bus necessary?

Ohio
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Chantilly, Vaux-le-Vicomte or Fountainebleu?

Chantilly seems fairly easy to get to as well: From the Gare du Nord SNCF Grandes lignes (24 minutes) or From Châtelet les Halles RER line D (45 minutes). Taxi from the station (cost: about €8); Le DUC (Desserte Urbaine Cantilienne) Chantilly's town free bus: departure from the bus station (at SNCF railheads), alight at the "Chantilly, église Notre-Dame" stop; Walking to the Château from the station should take about 22 minutes.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chantilly, Vaux-le-Vicomte or Fountainebleu?

Fon-ten-blow. Get this pronunciation into your head once and for all and forget what you have always said or heard, including any reference to that hotel in Miami.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,277 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chantilly, Vaux-le-Vicomte or Fountainebleu?

Fontainebleau is too far to walk -- you really need the bus. Same with Chantilly.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
975 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chantilly, Vaux-le-Vicomte or Fountainebleu?

Your report about Vaux-le-Vicomte, Janet, is very interesting ! I love this chateau too !

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,312 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chantilly, Vaux-le-Vicomte or Fountainebleu?

I heard a recent visitor to Fontainebleau say that the bus has changed from being called Line A to being called Line 1, just in case you notice there is no line A when you arrive. To walk from Fontainebleau-Avon to the château, if you walked at a moderate pace, would probably take 20-25 minutes. If you want to take the bus, when you walk off the platform for the train the bus stop will be right in front of you as you exit.