We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

almost pickpocketed - an eye opener

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
209 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
almost pickpocketed - an eye opener

I took my mom for her first european holiday to paris last week.....and was enjoying taking her around to places I have travelled solo in before. When we were at Stalingrad metro, we noticed 3 young girls waiting to get on to the train. As soon as we all had got on, one of them asked me for directions to Chatelet. She spoke a language I didn't comprehend and pointed at a map saying "chatelet".....when I tried to tell her I only spoke English, she persisted in asking for help. That's when I realized that the second girl seemed to have physically blocked my movement ahead (i was standing right at the door) while the third was doing something just behind me. I swirled around just in time to find the third girl's hand in my bag, on my wallet.....I managed to grab my wallet back from her........but before I could register all that had happened or figure out what I should do next, all three got off at the next metro.

The whole experience left me shaken for a while.....and has taught me important lessons.

1. Be alert and careful at all times.

2. Never carry all my money and cards in one place.

Am sharing this experience to make others realize that it's not only a novice traveller who needs to be on guard.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,322 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: almost pickpocketed - an eye opener

groups of teenage girls seem to be a common hazard -- they are well organized, run by handlers and lots of people let their guard down around kids

a group of those nearly got my husband's and my brother in law's wallets on our last trip

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: almost pickpocketed - an eye opener

It should also tell you that Paris has a very bad record of pick pocket incidents compared to the rest of Europe. Be warned.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: almost pickpocketed - an eye opener

This would be a great opportunity for everyone to re-relate their experience with pickpockets in Paris. We haven't had a thread like this in at least 2 days.

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,262 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: almost pickpocketed - an eye opener

I was on the train from Paris to Bayeux last week. I had a lock on my luggage. When we arrived in Bayeux, the lock was open. Luckily, nothing was stolen.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: almost pickpocketed - an eye opener

I want to warn pickpockets, rather than give advice on how to avoid being pickpocketed.

When I travel (Paris next summer) I often have favourite old jeans, some with holes in pockets - that might not be my wallet in your hand. ;)

Edited: 31 October 2011, 22:45
Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: almost pickpocketed - an eye opener

:-) :-) :-)

n.e. scotland
Level Contributor
441 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: almost pickpocketed - an eye opener

dev1236 wrote: "I want to warn pickpockets, rather than give advice on how to avoid being pickpocketed.

When I travel (Paris next summer) I often have favourite old jeans, some with holes in pockets - that might not be my wallet in your hand. ;) "

fantastic. gave me a right good giggle.

:D

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: almost pickpocketed - an eye opener

Without going that far, I'm sure that a lot of us could find amusement in planting surprises in our pockets.

What's really weird is that even though I have lived in Paris almost forever, I have never yet seen these girl groups at work. I know they exist, not just from reading stories here but also hearing from people I know, but they seem to avoid me at all times. Then again, just about everybody I know thinks that I look like an undercover policeman.

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: almost pickpocketed - an eye opener

Must be your cheery disposition. :-)

They seem to avoid me too, so I must emit the same aura.

Hong kong
Level Contributor
95 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: almost pickpocketed - an eye opener

I always aware of this thing as i will visit the paris soon, even in our tourist guide book remind us to aware of the pickpocket in Paris. And notice many blogger also mentioned their experience of that too. So I think be aware of the train and crowd indeed.