We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Attard, Malta
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
First time in Paris

Hi all.

My first visit to Paris will be from 17th to 20th November this year.

What are the other attractions besides Eiffel, Notre Dame, Bastille, Louvre, Sace Coeur, Arc de Triomphe, Opera Garnier, Versailles and Invalides ?

From where do you embark for the boat trip on the river ?

Staying at Aulivia Opera Hotel at Rue Petites Ecuries, near Gare du Nord. Any comments on this hotel ? Any direct transport, besides the metro , from Orly airport to this hotel ?

Any online , interactive map for the metro and RER ?

Any bargain supermarket for clothes ?

Thanks

Paris, France
Level Contributor
975 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Paris

< Any online , interactive map for the metro and RER ? >

Yes; see: www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/carteidf.php… (Metro, RER, buses, night buses)

North Caroiina
Level Contributor
994 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Paris

Bastille: No building there anymore. There is a column in the middle of a scary traffic circle. There is a modern opera building.

Versaille: Visit can take the better part of the day. If this is a highlight for you go, but you can be plenty busy for four days without leaving Paris

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,049 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Paris

The buses in Paris are great for getting around bit better than Aviva Bring a coat as it will be a lot colder in the evenings than Malta and a brolly for the rain.Boulavard Housemann has lots of shops for mens clothes and Galleria Lafayette has a big mens section.

You might want to have a walk along the Seine from Notre Damme to Eiffel Tower give you an appetite for dinner in Chez Eugenes up at Sacre Coure and bring your camera.If anyone runs up to you and offers you a gold ring you dropped tell him to go away and if anyone asks you to sign anything the same applies.

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,995 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Paris

"What are the other attractions besides Eiffel, Notre Dame, Bastille, Louvre, Sace Coeur, Arc de Triomphe, Opera Garnier, Versailles and Invalides ?"

Well, I think that you should read a good guidebook about Paris and decide what you want to see and what your priorities are. Otherwise, you just have a list of names of some famous sites in Paris. Are you interested in spending a long day in a museum? If so, the Louvre is for you. If not, you may not want to go--or you may choose a smaller museum instead. And if you'd rather shop than see a museum, that's a personal preference. Another example: There are scheduled tours through the Opera Garnier--do you want to take one? Would you time your day around it? There are the types of questions you need to consider when putting together YOUR itinerary.

"From where do you embark for the boat trip on the river ?"

You have several options, and there are 3 main companies. You may wish to depart from Pont de l"Alma on the right bank--or from near Notre Dame--or from near the Eiffel Tower. It will depend which location suits your itinerary for the day. You can use the search box here on the Trip Advisor page--enter Seine Cruise Companies (or Seine Cruises) as your key search words.

"Staying at Aulivia Opera Hotel at Rue Petites Ecuries, near Gare du Nord. Any comments on this hotel ?"

You're near Gare de l'Est (also near Nord), and your nearest metro looks to be Chateau d'Eau (on line 4). This is a nice line and easily gets you to Notre Dame and the St Germain area.

"Any direct transport, besides the metro , from Orly airport to this hotel ?"

The Metro doesn't go all the way to Orly. Check the Paris by Train website for instructions. Or just Google Orly to Paris.

Edited: 03 November 2011, 20:48
Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Paris

There are so many things to see and do in Paris and 4 days are just too short so you need to plan your itinerary to maximise your time there. What you must see will depends on your interests. I covered most of the major tourist sights in my recent trip in Parisl and there are photos to give you some ideas on the possibilities in my trip report below. But nothing like using a good guide book.

Ronald

http://paris-france-holiday.blogspot.com/

So Cal
Level Contributor
401 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Paris

Before our recent first trip to Paris I had also inquired on TA about where to catch the river boats , so you can do a quick TA search on that. In any case, when you get there, if you are spending any time strolling along the Seine (which you will of course!) it will be easy for you to figure out where to catch a boat because there are signs everywhere. We ended up just boarding the BatoBus near Notre Dame and riding it to the Eiffel, where we were due to meet some friends. (No narration on this boat, I think it's meant more for transportation - but it served our purposes just fine, and I actually loved waiting at the dock across from Notre Dame and enjoying the view there.)

Don't just "do sites". Be sure to have a little time just for strolling - along the Seine or in one of the beautiful parks (gardens).

7. Re: First time in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2012, 04:17