We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January; Shoes to take to Paris? - 1 week

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
January; Shoes to take to Paris? - 1 week

As we all know, suitcases contain treasured space so I want to take enough but not too much clothing. I'll be in Dublin, Paris and London for 9 days all up.

I will take one good waterproof thick long wool coat, long sleeve tops and a few scarves. I'll probably buy another coat/jacket along the way anyway.

My main concern is shoes.

I don't mind looking like a tourist, I'm there to enjoy the sights, so would runners be ok? I'm thinking their soles would be great but they will get wet in the rain and slush and they won't be able to dry. Do I need to buy waterproof shoes for such a short trip? They seem quite expensive and not nice looking (for reuse in Melbourne). I have a few pairs of black boots but I'd guess they are not waterproof, not slush proof anyway.

What shoes do Europeans wear during winter?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
820 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January; Shoes to take to Paris? - 1 week

If the black boots are comfortable, I would buy a weatherproof spray for them and go with those. I think they will be a lot warmer and drier than runners.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January; Shoes to take to Paris? - 1 week

What shoes do you wear in Melbourne in winter?

As long as they are comfortable I would wear those. Waterproof them for sure and take more than one pair so that they can dry out if necessary.

I have just worn normal winter shoes (from Queensland) and haven't had any problems in European cities.

The only time I needed "waterproof" boots was when we were skiing. I suppose it must happen but in 3 European winters I have never experienced "slush" in a city.

Edited: 18 November 2011, 03:05
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January; Shoes to take to Paris? - 1 week

Sky, I bought myself two pairs of black flat heeled ankle boots for my 20 day trip to London and Paris. I figure I will wear one and the other is a spare in case one gets wet. I have made sure to wear them a bit here first to ensure that they are worn in and comfortable.

It is pretty difficult to know what to pack - we are flying Malaysian and only get 20kg, so it will be hard going. We are going for a couple of days in KL too, so need summer clothes as well (:.

Deb

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January; Shoes to take to Paris? - 1 week

Thanks everyone. well s long as you think my regular black boots will be ok with normal soles I'll be ok. I can waterproof spray them for sure, and I go everywhere in them in Melbourne and they are fine.

Suitcase space is going to be a challenge. 2 pairs of boots, my runners (I plan to exercise too) etc.... My big huge knee length woollen coat - I'll just take that on the plane with me (holding it) so it doesn't take up room in my bag - that will be ok, right?

If I buy a new big coat while over there, (my current one is getting way too big as I have lost alot of weight since buying it 6 years ago in Paris), I can post that one back to me quite easily? (Worried about suitcase space). I'd really like to get a new coat.jacket in Paris, makes it so special to wear in my Melbourne winters :)

Is there a post office near the Notre Dame or on BLVD St Germaine, Rue Mazarine, Rue Dauphine....Bd Saint-Michel?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January; Shoes to take to Paris? - 1 week

I found the post office - there is one at the Metro stop Odeon, on Blvd Saint Germaine :)

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,928 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: January; Shoes to take to Paris? - 1 week

and the obvious

fill your boots with socks, underwear etc....for efficient packing (-:

for post office locations:

laposte.fr/Particulier/…Paris

search on the page for the arrondissement number if your french is not up to par.

on one of my trip to Paris i found a business suit which got great reviews back in Canada; so i would not rule out Gallerie Lafayette.

cheers

San Diego
Level Contributor
247 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: January; Shoes to take to Paris? - 1 week

The nearest post office with the longest hours is the one at Hotel de Ville, very easy to deal with and I've always had good luck mailing flat rate boxes home.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,378 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: January; Shoes to take to Paris? - 1 week

You don't realize how many miles you're going to walk in Paris -- you very well might find you're doing more miles than you would when you exercise.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: January; Shoes to take to Paris? - 1 week

I am going to Paris over winter this year also and will be taking my black boots. I found a pair of safe grips which stick to the surface of your shoes which help them from slipping on shiny, wet or slippery surfaces. I bought them from Zu for $5 but I'm sure other shoe stores in Australia also have them.

Have a great time :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,123 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: January; Shoes to take to Paris? - 1 week

get a light weight expansion bag that folds way down -- then on the return trip, check your regular suitcase and stuff the extra coat etc into the expansion bag and carry it on. my expandable is big enough that I can put the camera bag or a purse into it as well so I still only have one or two pieces to carry on.