We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris trip

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
hartford
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Paris trip

I am going (with 3 others) to Paris for 5 days in March and am considering using a concierge service to help plan my days and see some places that are off the beaten path. Has anyone used a concierge service? Are they worth the money (60 euros/day)? I have traveled overseas before to Italy and Ireland but feel somewhat intimidated by Paris. I don't speak french (although I am studying it now). Any suggestions?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,754 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris trip

I suggest a concierge service is a huge waste of money.. and that Paris is easy to do on your own,,, and that language will not be as huge of an issue as you may think. I think you are already on the right path, tripadvisor forums are extremely helpful to me,, and I have been to Paris many times,, and I still learn stuff on here almost everyday.

Have you booked a hotel yet,, and what are you looking for in that department, a nice hotel will often have very helpful deskstaff ,, and a more exspensive hotel may even have a conceirge you can use.

I think if you just read a good guide book and sit down with your friends and list off your top wish list sites then you can organize your visit very easily by yourself.. many many people do.. Then spend the extra 300 euros( 5 days by 60 euros ) on a nice meal,, way more fun!

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,985 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris trip

I agree that you can do it on your own, but if you'd like to try a "middle ground" between a concierge service and a completely independent trip, then you could hire a private guide for one day to acquaint yourself with the city, and then spend the rest of the trip exploring various areas/attractions in more depth.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
975 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris trip

A good guidebook + Tripadvisor... and you have your concierge service, almost for free !

Read the various and numerous threads here about trip planning and trip reports and you'll know almost everything, even without asking !

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,828 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris trip

I can not imagine a concierge service that specializes in tourists coming to Paris would be able to send visitors off the beaten path. I mean, if that is where they send people, well, isn't the path being beaten?

If you really want to get off the beaten path, stay in a neighborhood that less tourists know, like Batignoles in the 17th and then get lost exploring the area. OR follow your passions. I don't know what they are, but if you like knitting, find a place that has knitting classes, or for cycling go on a ride, or for art; hit some of the less known museums.

Puget Sound
Level Contributor
908 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris trip

Save your money. Stay near the center (the 6th District would be my choice); pick a few spots you want to see, and plan on going to One each day. Then just wander and enjoy; the real glory of Paris is in the latter, not the former.

BTW, if the Champs Elysees turns up on you list of spots, scratch it off.

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris trip

phread...a wise suggestion indeed!

hartford
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris trip

Thank you all for the advice. We already have a hotel in the 18th which was included in the package. We have decided to scrap the concierge and just plan it on our own. Is the transit system easy to use. We are thinking of getting the transit pass and the museum pass. Worth it?

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,707 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris trip

Have you been to Paris before? It sounds like you have not yet you want to get off the beaten path. While I'm all for getting off the beaten path, you should get on it first. Pick a couple of musuems, stroll over the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame and nearby Hotel De Ville are amazing monuments. Take in a ballet at the beautiful Opera House. No need for a concierge, just go to the box office and see if they have tickets and if so, buy one. Meander the left bank reading menu's and when you find the perfect one, go in and make a reservation.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,903 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris trip

<<While I'm all for getting off the beaten path, you should get on it first.>>

100% agree!!!! Especially when going to such a "beaten path" destination as Paris. There is a reason why so many people visit the city each year, and it's the beaten path stuff that attracts them :-)

10. Re: Paris trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2012, 10:22