We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 month or more stay -- which area?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
326 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
1 month or more stay -- which area?

hello. My husband and I have been to Paris twice now (first time Ile Saint Louis),(second time 7th). We are now thinking of doing a month long stay or possibly more. Trying to decide on which area. Here's what we like: A little bit quiet area. Restaurants and bakeries right outside the door. Close proximity to a good outdoor market area (We loved Rue Cler, but the overall area was a bit toooo quiet, not enough restaurants, etc.), and good metro access. We did like the quaint village feel of the island, but would like to try someplace new this time. Any thoughts?

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,971 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 month or more stay -- which area?

How about a right bank location? Like the upper 3rd or the 12th?

Puget Sound
Level Contributor
908 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 month or more stay -- which area?

I just completed booking another month-long stay. Once again I'll be "living" in the 6th, near the St. Michel Metro station. I looked seriously at apartments in the 18th, 1st, 2nd, and 5th. In the end, while the 18th has great appeal to me, the convenince, atmosphere, and pulse of the 6th won out. I even booked fhe same apartment!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
326 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 month or more stay -- which area?

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I did find an interesting apartment on rue Quincampoix in the 3rd. Any input on that area? Two other apartments I found are:

One on Rue Ferou in the 6th (kinda like the idea of close proximity to the gardens), or one Rue Bernard Palissy in the 6th. Variety of restaurants in those areas? Outdoor markets? Thanks for any input!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
326 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 month or more stay -- which area?

Hello travelproponent! Fellow Puget Sounder! I live out in Carnation (I know, where????). Anyway, yes, the 6th sounds appealing and we have not stayed in that area. Can I ask what apartment you are renting? What agency? Are there areas of the 6th that are better than others? Thanks for sharing! Diane

Puget Sound
Level Contributor
908 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 month or more stay -- which area?

Diane - I've sent you a "private message" with specifics.

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 month or more stay -- which area?

The 6th is the "home away from the US" for many Americans. Quite puzzling for those of us raised elsewhere, but then this leaves other equally nice places for us!!!

Telling you which area would suit you is like parents telling their 18- 20 years old "child" which boyfriend or girlfriend to date.....it doesn't really work..

Ideally you would spend a week in Paris and explore various districts...including ones you don' t think you would like. The big problem is that you might not like a couple of streets in area X yet 3 blocks away in that same area you could find you little paradise.

This has to do with many factors,including the fact that buildings in a given area were possibly built within 300 years or more of one another..and a grand mansion (now condos) may be cheek by jowl with less impressive buildings..

Like everyone else, your expectations will be skewed by what you are familiar with...

One of the most romantic places my family has lived in was a whole wing of a 17th century country chateau....huge rooms, great architectural details...unfortunately the previous owner didn't believe in heating and hot water...good thing we stayed there one winter only..

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 month or more stay -- which area?

I seriously urge you to consider exploring some other parts of France, as opposed to just spending another month "en Paris."

While we love Paris, we have spent a month in France every year since '86. We have visited Normandy, Brittany, the Loire Valley, Bordeaux, the Rhone, the Riviera/Cote d'Aazure, and Provence - each for a minimum of 3 weeks, We became hooked on Provence, where we now spend every September ( that's whle I'm an AlpillesGal) - and our explorations are the reason that I am urging you to consider exploring at least one other region in the coutse of your month-long stay in France

Hope to hear from you soon, especially regarding WHEN you will be travelling, and also about any specific interests, aside from great French food.

8. Re: 1 month or more stay -- which area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 January 2012, 10:35
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
326 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 month or more stay -- which area?

Hi AlpillesGal -- Oh, not to worry!!! You are speaking my language!! We enjoyed a week in the Luberon area last September and that would also be part of our plan. We thought a month in Paris and then a month in Burgundy or Provence or split between the two :) ...... I'm pushing for 3 months total!! Maybe a month in Normandy, month in Paris and a month south :)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 month or more stay -- which area?

Hi there

The St Paul area of The Marais is one of my favourites. I have booked terrific apartments through the homelidays website.

Kind Regards

Merran