We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unsafe Paris !!!

Attard, Malta
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Unsafe Paris !!!

Had a wonderful weekend in Paris, but it was spoiled.

Every single day, we had to confront pickpockets.

On arrival, upon boarding the train, at Anthony station, I saw my mobile phone flying in the air ! Someone tried to steal it from my pocket, and another person, behind me saw everything and cased the offender away.

I was approached by a teenager, showing me a ring- a Paris classic. I just shouted at him, go away, and he got frustrated !!

This happend about four times in four days !

Boarding a train, two men, one from the front and another one from the back of my wife started talking to her, trying to grab her bag . She shouted my name and they disappeared !

Going out of Notre Dame, we stopped at a zebra crossing. A woman in a parked car started to ask me silly questions in broken english. Aman behing me, advised me to ignore her as she is trying to make you approach her car, so she can grab and drive !!

This all happened last weekend, between the 17th and 20th November. The police are nowhere to be seen ! The only police I ve seen were near Arc de Triomphe.

My advise:

If you are reading a map, carrying luggages, holding a camera, dressed up elegantly, and heard speaking anything but French, you are an easy prey !!

Carry your belonging in a zipped pocket in front of your chest or a zipped, closed bag, hanging at the side, with your ahnds odvering it at all times.

I have travelled to many places, but this amount of crime in just four days, is just too much !!!!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
490 reviews
from US$73.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$109.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.80*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.60*
US$335.10
Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

I think the only thing I came across were the petioners at the Eiffel Tower. That was the most annoying group of people I have ever been witness to. They were absolutely terrible and I was approached every other minute, it seemed! By the time that I had already turned down 5, I was practically screaming "NON!" at them.

But otherwise, I never encountered any of the other scams or pickpockets or anything like that during my last trip to Paris. I would like to think part of that had to do with the fact that I've spent considerable amounts of time in cities and that some street smarts paid off.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,502 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

and the fact that you can always just hop into the tardis and disappear.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,309 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

In the interest of balance, let me refer readers to your other post, in which you discuss the ease with which you approached strangers on the street in Paris when you needed directions. I, for one, would have to feel pretty safe and secure before I tried anything like that. So maybe it's fair to say that although one may feel completely at ease while exploring Paris, he should still be protective of his wallet and possessions and be aware of pickpocketing in various forms/scams:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k49595…

n.e. scotland
Level Contributor
447 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

i wouldn't really call it street smarts and coming from a big city though...

i find some people from a big city can become complacent because of their comfortableness in a bustling environment. (comfortableness is not a word but i kinda mean familiarity and being in their comfort zone despite not being in their own city).

i come from a small town and managed to have a holiday in paris with no problems...

...i think it all comes down to self-awareness and being aware of those around you. but that is just my opinion of course.

:/

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

We leave for Paris this Friday. Trying not to let this thread rain on my parade.

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

Suzanne and anyone else, just read the above precautions. I would also add: Even though you can't completely avoid crowds, especially at places like the Eiffel Tower, walk around them on sidewalks. Also, skip the Metro if it's too crowded and wait for the next train.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

Please remember that this is a breathless hysterical post completely void in anything even resembling fairness or balance.

Interpret it as you would a post saying that everyone in Paris comes up and gives you 10-euro bills and kisses you on both cheeks, welcoming you to the city.

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

Sunshine817 - They don't? Well, now I'm just disappointed. :D

But you are absolutely right.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

Petition people will not pursue anyone who refuses to see them. I probably have training from having been a Parisian for so long, but petitions, rings, beggars... you would not believe how much stuff I don't notice every day. It's about the same as living in a city and learning to ignore the pigeons.

Not really a big deal.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,309 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

But please read the other post (by the same person) for which I provided a link. I think it more than balances things out. I remember once when my daughter and I were visiting by ourselves. A wonderful young man at the front desk of our hotel--so helpful and patient--gave us directions for walking all over Paris. When we were headed out to the Clignancourt market, he just said, "Remember--YOU are safe, but your purse is not." I thought that was excellent advice. (I have never been pickpocketed or come close, by the way.) Please take precautions, but out of information and not fear.