We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unsafe Paris !!!

Attard, Malta
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Unsafe Paris !!!

Had a wonderful weekend in Paris, but it was spoiled.

Every single day, we had to confront pickpockets.

On arrival, upon boarding the train, at Anthony station, I saw my mobile phone flying in the air ! Someone tried to steal it from my pocket, and another person, behind me saw everything and cased the offender away.

I was approached by a teenager, showing me a ring- a Paris classic. I just shouted at him, go away, and he got frustrated !!

This happend about four times in four days !

Boarding a train, two men, one from the front and another one from the back of my wife started talking to her, trying to grab her bag . She shouted my name and they disappeared !

Going out of Notre Dame, we stopped at a zebra crossing. A woman in a parked car started to ask me silly questions in broken english. Aman behing me, advised me to ignore her as she is trying to make you approach her car, so she can grab and drive !!

This all happened last weekend, between the 17th and 20th November. The police are nowhere to be seen ! The only police I ve seen were near Arc de Triomphe.

My advise:

If you are reading a map, carrying luggages, holding a camera, dressed up elegantly, and heard speaking anything but French, you are an easy prey !!

Carry your belonging in a zipped pocket in front of your chest or a zipped, closed bag, hanging at the side, with your ahnds odvering it at all times.

I have travelled to many places, but this amount of crime in just four days, is just too much !!!!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
504 Reviews
from US$72.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,186 Reviews
from US$109.20*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower...
791 Reviews
from US$124.20*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
630 Reviews
from US$74.00*
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
151. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

>>>"This isn't New York. You aren't going to get held up at gunpoint, you don't need a slash-proof purse and those dorky pockets that you stash under your bras or underwear or wherever. "<<<

New York City is actually one of the safest large cities in the world. It it where I call home. It is all those damn movies being filmed here that people actually think they might get held up by someone with a gun in my beloved city. It really will not happen to you. Promise

Paris, like New York, is an incredible city. I hope no one avoids either city 'cause of concerns about crime. You just have to use common sense. "You don't tug on Superman's cape, You don't spit into the wind. You don't pull the mask off that ol' Lone Ranger, And you don't mess around with Jim."

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
152. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

For our first visit in February, there is no way we we can look anything other than tourists, struggling with both luggage and the language. However, we are not concerned, but we will be well informed thanks to TAPF and look forward to the experience with some excitement.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,058 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
153. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

But you're not going to blend in -- tourists look like tourists the world over, regardless of what they're wearing.

Be yourself. Enjoy Paris. Talk about it amongst yourselves. Take photos.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Providence, Rhode...
3 posts
Save Reply
154. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

I have to say I just returned from a 5 day trip to Paris with my 13 year-old daughter. I never felt unsafe. We took the Metro, walked the neighborhoods and visited all the crowded TOURIST sites. We did see the girls with clipboards pretending to be deaf soliciting people around the Lourve and Eiffel Tower. We gave them a firm NO and they never bothered us again! They suckered a few people and I can't believe anybody falls for it. We don't speak French but tried as much as we could but I'm sure it was clear we were visitors. Don't let some of these bad experiences deter you. I won't speak for anyone else and maybe we were just lucky but you can have a safe trip. I go to NYC all the time and I also feel safe so I guess it's what you make of it !!

Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,143 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
155. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

"I won't speak for anyone else and maybe we were just lucky but you can have a safe trip."

Paris is generally quite safe, so I would say that a safe trip is quite normal and usual. The little scams, and even pickpockets, are not worth a lot of worry and are easy to avoid if one is aware of how they work and takes a few basic steps to secure their belongings.

Edited: 15 December 2011, 17:10
156. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2012, 10:22