We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unsafe Paris !!!

Attard, Malta
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Unsafe Paris !!!

Had a wonderful weekend in Paris, but it was spoiled.

Every single day, we had to confront pickpockets.

On arrival, upon boarding the train, at Anthony station, I saw my mobile phone flying in the air ! Someone tried to steal it from my pocket, and another person, behind me saw everything and cased the offender away.

I was approached by a teenager, showing me a ring- a Paris classic. I just shouted at him, go away, and he got frustrated !!

This happend about four times in four days !

Boarding a train, two men, one from the front and another one from the back of my wife started talking to her, trying to grab her bag . She shouted my name and they disappeared !

Going out of Notre Dame, we stopped at a zebra crossing. A woman in a parked car started to ask me silly questions in broken english. Aman behing me, advised me to ignore her as she is trying to make you approach her car, so she can grab and drive !!

This all happened last weekend, between the 17th and 20th November. The police are nowhere to be seen ! The only police I ve seen were near Arc de Triomphe.

My advise:

If you are reading a map, carrying luggages, holding a camera, dressed up elegantly, and heard speaking anything but French, you are an easy prey !!

Carry your belonging in a zipped pocket in front of your chest or a zipped, closed bag, hanging at the side, with your ahnds odvering it at all times.

I have travelled to many places, but this amount of crime in just four days, is just too much !!!!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Arc de Triomphe
Arc de Triomphe
37,412 Reviews
Paris, France
Wine Therapy
££ - £££, French, Wine Bar
Marche Ou Crepe
£, French, Bar, Cafe
ASPIC
££££, French, European, Contemporary
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,595 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

The existence of two such wildly divergent posts undermines the veracity of both.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

Rubbish. You're just upset that someone could say something to the detriment of your beloved city, yet again.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,337 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

As for my part, I just want to reinforce that it's possible to feel safe AND to be aware that your possessions may not be. The need to exercise caution doesn't have to ruin anyone's plans to visit and thoroughly enjoy. That's why i referenced BOTH posts--the one about pickpocketing AND the one about the helpful people one encounters while traveling.

Edited: 21 November 2011, 19:25
Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

I thought this thread was a closed topic earlier? Why was it reopened? Since it is reopened I will put my two cents in. I haven't been to Paris in a number of years but I have been to Rome recently and I visit London and Nice regularly. In 4 days in Rome I witnessed scammers and other parasites who target tourists.

My advice is the same as most sound advice..just ignore them. If you are silly enough to engage with them.. even a 'non desolé' you are giving them a glimmer of light in that you have opened the line of communications. These parasites are like hunters seeking out prey..they quite often choose the weakest (in the tourist case.. the 'softest touch').. responding to them is not being polite..it is a sign of weakness.

Sometimes this doesn't work. One of the 'rose' guys in Rome persisted and invaded my wife's personal space (put his hand on her shoulder) ... I promptly intervened physically.. let's just say he got the message.

If you are a tourist in any city/town in the world you should have the right to go about your business without being hounded by these parasites. If I was the mayor of any of these major tourist cities I would initiate some sort of measures to stamp this out.

I will visit Paris again and my zero tolerance approach to these people means it is not worth their while targeting me...if they do then I'll deal with it and go on to enjoy the rest of my day. It;s like playing football or rugby..sometimes you have to take a knock but you don't let it stop you enjoying the rest of the match!

Edited: 21 November 2011, 19:33
Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
London
London
England, UK
PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

Agreed henneth......speaking of hysteria

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

Let's have detente.

(Now this is a word I can understand in both French and English.)

New York
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

ohh the petitioners, the ones that ask you to sign things...what is that about? i got approached numerous times, but always waved them off - completely ignored them. Can some one tell me what that was all about? thanks.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

Everyone should protect their rings at all times.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

And never let them fall on the sidewalk! Someone is likely to pick it up immediately (right in front of you rather than behind you, which would be more logical).

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

Sounds like things have gotten more aggressive since I was there a year ago. I'll be there in a few weeks and will keep a tighter grip on my purse. In 2009 it was the African trinket sellers who were annoying; last year it was the gypsies literally surrounding us on 3 sides as we walked on the Champ de Mars.