We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unsafe Paris !!!

Attard, Malta
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Unsafe Paris !!!

Had a wonderful weekend in Paris, but it was spoiled.

Every single day, we had to confront pickpockets.

On arrival, upon boarding the train, at Anthony station, I saw my mobile phone flying in the air ! Someone tried to steal it from my pocket, and another person, behind me saw everything and cased the offender away.

I was approached by a teenager, showing me a ring- a Paris classic. I just shouted at him, go away, and he got frustrated !!

This happend about four times in four days !

Boarding a train, two men, one from the front and another one from the back of my wife started talking to her, trying to grab her bag . She shouted my name and they disappeared !

Going out of Notre Dame, we stopped at a zebra crossing. A woman in a parked car started to ask me silly questions in broken english. Aman behing me, advised me to ignore her as she is trying to make you approach her car, so she can grab and drive !!

This all happened last weekend, between the 17th and 20th November. The police are nowhere to be seen ! The only police I ve seen were near Arc de Triomphe.

My advise:

If you are reading a map, carrying luggages, holding a camera, dressed up elegantly, and heard speaking anything but French, you are an easy prey !!

Carry your belonging in a zipped pocket in front of your chest or a zipped, closed bag, hanging at the side, with your ahnds odvering it at all times.

I have travelled to many places, but this amount of crime in just four days, is just too much !!!!

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

Probably you'll get pickpocket with your atomic missile in your pocket and the scams are all nuclear related in Pyongyang

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

Won't your gunboat be enough?

n.e. scotland
Level Contributor
447 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

gunboat4444 wrote:

"We leave for Paris next wednesday for a 3 day trip. I am worried that we may get caught out by all the gangsters in Paris. Could i hire some armed guards for 3 days? Thanks."

you could hire some armed guards but you need to pay them for a whole week... oh and they require accomodation with views of the eiffel tower. they like to see it twinkling too. (hoping that i have understood the sarcasm).

;P

oh, and maltiserracin, i have blocked you from pm-ing me again. i have no interest in your scare-mongering. please respect my privacy and the right to enjoy this forum without you ramming your opinions down my throat. thank you.

cornwall
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

We were looking forward to the cycle tour but now worried about snipers. Also the open top bus tour but is there a chance we may get hijacked?

Essex
Level Contributor
28,240 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

It's OK, just wear a stab vest and a tin hat, you will be fine - added bonus you can hide your valuables inside them.

For sure you will not look like out of place paranoid tourists as everyone in Paris knows that that is the latest in 'what to wear' these days!!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

Oh, I didn't even block him from another PM.

However, I think we are pretty close to running this thread into "closed topic."

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,918 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

I'm another who has blocked maltiserracin from sending rude PMs.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Reply
68. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

I''ve also had to block maltiserracin from Pming me. Closed topic sounds good like an option.

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

I just wanted to point out that I am available for bodyguard duties, should you require one. The only payment I require is that my trip to Paris be covered. :D

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,918 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Unsafe Paris !!!

closed topic AND a closed account doesn't sound too harsh.