We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro tickets

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bournemouth, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Metro tickets

It's many years since I last used the Paris metro, but then one used to just hand in A ticket, on entry, and then could, basically, go anyware until one left the metro. I see, on their website, that there are different ticket prices if one wants to travel outside of "Zone 1". Could someone advise how this works, and does Zone 1 cover all the main tourist sites?

Many thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,949 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro tickets

A standard metro ticket is valid for travel to any metro station and to any RER station in central Paris (within the Peripherique). Zones are relevant only if you want to travel further on the RER.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro tickets

There is a carnet a booklet of 10 tickets which (I haven't updated my info list for this year) a year ago cost 12 euro then. This covers 2 zones. Then there is the Paris Navigo Decouverte, which initially costs 5 euro for the card then you load it with how many zones you want at a cost for zone 1-2 of 18.35 euro (last years cost), but this depends on if it is financially right for you.(The card itself is good for 10 years) It goes from Monday a.m. until Midnight the next Sunday and you can ride the metro a zillion times in those 2 zones and not get charged more. You can get other zones also, 1-3, 1-4, 1-5, 1-6. It depends on what you want to do which will determine how many zones you will buy. Sometimes it is more economical to get the navigo and if you want to go to another zonejust for the day, like Versaille or Disney,, just buy a separate ticket for that zone. To me, maybe others wil agree, most of the sight seeing is in zones 1-2. If you haven't been there in a long time, they now have "electronic" turnstyles for the metro. The navigo just flash it over the purple glass and in you go, the separate tickets put in the slot and it comes out the other end and the gates open. A lot depends on also if you like to walk alot or if you just want to go from one place to anothr zip zip. We will be there starting next Sunday coming home Dec 15.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
203 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro tickets

There's a very detailed (and simple!) site that might help you with this and other questions you may have about using the Metro.

http://parisbytrain.com/

Sierrakh, I see we're in Paris during the same time as you! Have a wonderful holiday!

Clare Valley...
Level Contributor
129 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro tickets

Does the Paris Navigo Decouverte also work on buses?

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro tickets

Yes, the Navigo Decouverte works on buses. It's a wonderful thing.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
203 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Metro tickets

Yes it does.

Singapore
Level Contributor
460 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Metro tickets

can I use the carnet booklet of T+ tickets from Montparnesse to Versailles and Val d'Europe? Can this booklet be shared by 2 people?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,949 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Metro tickets

t+ tickets are valid to any Metro station, but on the RER they cannot be used for journeys outside zone 2 (beyond the Peripherique). You have to buy separate tickets for versailles and Val d'Europe.

The carnet consists of 10 ordinary t+ tickets: 1 journey for 10 people, 10 journeys for 1 person, or anything between.

Singapore
Level Contributor
460 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Metro tickets

Thanks, any idea where I can check the fare cost from Montparnasse to Versailles and Val d'Europe? And do I need to validate my t+ tickets?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,949 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Metro tickets

These tickets are under €10. Your t+ ticket is validated as it passes through the Metro turnstile.