We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

round trip Paris/London/Paris chunnel

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
round trip Paris/London/Paris chunnel

We are planning a fall trip from U.S. to Paris. The plan is 3 days Paris, 3 days London, then back to Paris for 2-3 days. (We are using frequent flyer miles and want to fly in and out of one country). We plan to use the Eurostar/Chunnel for the Paris/London/Paris part of the trip.

My questions:

What is the easiest way to book the Paris-London-Paris on the chunnel? Is there a website?

How far in advance for reservations?

Are the starting points Gare du Nord (Paris) and Waterloo (London)?

Thanks for the help

jhgrady

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,719 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: round trip Paris/London/Paris chunnel

1 - http://www.eurostar.com

2 - 6 months

3 - Gare du Nord and St Pancras

You say you want to fly in and out of the same city... why not check and see if you can fly into one and out the other? Saves time and money in backtracking. Worth checking on.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,174 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: round trip Paris/London/Paris chunnel

The earlier ( within its limits) you book the cheaper your ticket for the Eurostar will be( and yes, its referred to as the Eurostar, apparently the term Chunnel is not acceptable,, lol ). Also within same day prices vary, as they do on days of the week(tues-thurs ) generally cheaper then weekend travel.

I book my tickets for pick up at the station, arrive a bit eariler to do so,, the website you have to be there 30 minutes ahead, I tend to make it ah hour.

Enjoy your trip.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: round trip Paris/London/Paris chunnel

The term Chunnel has simply fallen out if use and become antiquated. A bit like saying stroke instead of slash or Labour Exchange instead of Job Centre.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: round trip Paris/London/Paris chunnel

Hunting around at random, I see that the cheapest one way fare showing for a variety of dates is 50€. It used to be 33€.

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,207 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: round trip Paris/London/Paris chunnel

When we did it a few years ago it was cheaper to buy round trip tickets even though we ony needed one way.

Independence, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: round trip Paris/London/Paris chunnel

You may find that flying into and out of London may be the best choice. We do much the same using FF miles, Tulsa to Dallas to Heathrow RT for around $170 each. We prefer to avoid CDG and we enjoy both cities. We typically arrive at LHR around 7-8AM, clear customs, and take the Heathrow Express or Heathrow Connect into town. If our hotel won't allow luggage storage we store our one carry on each at Paddington Station and spend the day at various markets and shops, eat a nice dinner near our hotel, then hit the sack rather early. The next couple days we take in a show ("Wicked" this next spring) or visit various markets or might even take in a trial at Old Bailey.

We Eurostar to Paris RT with the cheapest tickets purchased online120 days prior to travel. We return to London the day before our flight home and book a room either at Windsor (close to Heathrow) or at Heathrow proper for an early return flight. We've found that using London as the base works best for us.

Another excellent website for Eurostar questions and tips is www.seat61.com.

You'll have a great time and avoiding CDG will eliminate any flight hassles.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,215 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: round trip Paris/London/Paris chunnel

One of my miles programs only offers round-trip airfare, and if that's the case for you, too, then I totally get what you're doing. Obviously, if the open-jaw flight is a possibility with your miles program, then that's the way to go.

You'll love the Eurostar, though--city center to city center is so convenient, avoiding airports!

For what it's worth, I've never had any trouble at CDG. Or, rather, I've had no addl trouble at CDG--all large airports seem to have their share of snags. My personal worst has been at JFK.

8. Re: round trip Paris/London/Paris chunnel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 04:17