We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Thanksgiving trip report

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
381 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Solo Thanksgiving trip report

Dear fellow Paris-philes. Just returned from what i can only explain as the most magical experience I have ever had.

Stayed at L'Ermitage in the Montmartre which was new for me, as I always stay in Le Marais. I was very happy there and at at the Hope Cafe on rue Caulincourt just down the road. The owners are fantastic. I had "Thanksgiving" dinner there - dined alone - and met some great people. We all closed the place down after wonderful and fun conversation.

I walked all around the city, only taking the train 3 times and a cab twice because I was returning after the trains stopped running. Bought some amazing scarves, oils from my favorite huilirie (sp?) on rue Jacob, chocolates from a few amazing stores, pastries that were simply orgasmic and great Indian at Darjeeling near the Champs. Had an otherworldly experience at the cafe at Jean Paul Hevin on rue Saint Honore with chocolate chaud fromboise and aphrodesiac with ginger and a slice of indescribable gateau and three macarons. Bought chestnuts on the street and cafe all around the city to stay awake.

Bought goodies at the Grand Epicerie at Bon Marche and chocolate custard double decker filled pastries on the walk down from the Montmartre as well.

Saw the Sacre Coeur lit up at night with the pink tinged Paris sky in contrast to the while glowing stone. Walked over the bridge above the Cemetery Montmartre with its graffiti serving as a stark contrast to the sacredness of the place below.

Was intoxicated by the aroma at Mariage des Freres tea shop in the Marais and disappointed that they weren't open to seat customers when I was there.

Took the chocolate walking tour with Paris Walks and there were so many samples, I couldn't finish them all. Saw the gardens at the Palais Royal. Rode the ferris wheel in the Place Concorde. Walked the Champs Elysee with the Christmas Market and the trees all lit up. Was cold, but people's energy created warmth on the street.

More to come when I'm more awake tomorrow...

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Thanksgiving trip report

Such a lovely, well written report...felt like I was right there with you. Thank you for the warm daydream.

Edited: 29 November 2011, 02:37
los angeles
Level Contributor
8,955 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Thanksgiving trip report

I love walking in Paris also. Nice report--I'll look forward to hearing more. Where exactly was the L'Ermitage located, and how did you like it? What were the rooms and rates like?

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,436 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Thanksgiving trip report

for your next trip, would you stay again in monmarte or would you return to marais?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Thanksgiving trip report

I should have read your report after breakfast and not before -- now I'm thinking about one of the aphrodisiac hot chocolates at Jean-Paul Hevin. They're so good. I was planning to try my first Angelina hot chocolate later this afternoon, but now I'm not so sure...

I'm glad that you met some other people while having Thanksgiving dinner. That's probably the only time when I wouldn't really want to dine on my own in Paris.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
258 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Thanksgiving trip report

*sigh*.....makes me wish I was there....only 166 days to go! :)

New York
Level Contributor
381 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Thanksgiving trip report

I feel like it was a dream as well. Always do when I return from Paris....don't you?

New York
Level Contributor
381 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo Thanksgiving trip report

I feel like it was a dream as well. Always do when I return from Paris....don't you?

L'Ermitage was at 24 rue Lamarck and it was 88 e a night for a single.

New York
Level Contributor
381 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo Thanksgiving trip report

L'Ermitage was at 24 rue Lamarck and it was 88 e a night for a single.

Monmartre was perfect for this trip. I've been to Paris a few times already and didn't feel the need to stay in the thick of the action below. The vibe up in the Montmartre was perfect for this trip.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo Thanksgiving trip report

Sounds absolutely lovely! Thanks for sharing,

Jo

Paris, France
Level Contributor
973 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo Thanksgiving trip report

Thanks for this interesting trip report.

Paul