We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Clearwater
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Marais

I want to know as much as possible about Marais...my fiance's family has an apartment for us there to use when we move to Paris...I have heard a few things about the area. Just wanted to see what you all thought of it.

Thank you in advance for any info!

Florida
Level Contributor
17,164 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marais

OK - start readin' and lookin'

www.parismarais.com/

http://www.parislemarais.com/en/home.php

Clearwater
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Marais

These are great websites...but we are moving there. I really want comments and personal experiences.

Thanks

Irish in Paris
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marais

Travelnutty's message may have been that your question pops up almost every week in this forum and everything you need is probably just a search away :)

My personal experience is that you get better replies from people if you show that you have read a little on the subjest first and then form your questions based on what you've learned :)

Clearwater
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Marais

well i guess the paris forum is not as helpful as some others...

thanks

France
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Marais

It's always better to do some homework first and then come to forums with very specific questions.

It's really hard to answer, when one doesn't have a clue what people may wish to hear and read.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Marais

I do not mean to be rude...but i did do a search and it is mostly about traveling and hotels. I basically want to know about the safety, type of people (age, personality of the area etc...), if it is good for a young couple late 20's. And if it is a nice place to live. I was speaking to some friends from Paris this past weekend. They were telling me some bad things about the area. And i wanted to confirm them. Also I would like to know about market value in property. We will be inheriting this apartment in the future. 3bdrm apartment with a bonus room outside of the actual apartment. No bathtubs or showers yet (but that will change!). I am feeling a little nervous after the comments that were made. hope this clarifies things a bit. i will do a search on this site and try and weed thru the normal travel stuff...

Irish in Paris
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marais

CeeJay will probably be able to help yopu as she bought a magazine over the weekend with the current house prices and such for Paris.

I don't know what your friends told you but most people I know would give their right arm to have a place in the Marais. It's central, yet not too busy. It's in a city but some places remind you more of a small town. When Paris shuts down on a Sunday the Marais opens up and the people control the streets, not the cars.

While some may not agree with me I find it's a lot like Greenwich Village in New York City and find it hard to think of a bad thing to say about the area (to a tourist) compared with everything it has to offer.

France
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Marais

Tee801,

You may want to have a look at this site (inpat). It's everything about moving to Paris. I know do get your point now, but since this is a travel forums, the aspects are a lot different. Staying a few days in a hotel wherever, can't be compared to actually live here.

Also and with most areas or arrondissements, they aren't exactly the same just all over.

I think, you should also find a forum here.

http://www.inpat.fr/paris/en/

Clearwater
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Marais

Thanks so much...My friends are very straight forward people...so i will take their comments with a grain of salt. I have never lived in France b4 (they may be trying to play a joke on me who knows :-)

My fiance really doesnt want to move back either...the city tires people fast. We live in Florida it is VERY laid back here. We are very laid back people...but I am up for the change.

We are going to have a test run in June...staying there and visiting with family and the city.

Paris
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marais

Its a terrible area. I would never live there. Your apartment wont be worth much. I give you $100,000 US for it right now. :)

But seriously, You are only lucky dog getting an apartment in the Marais. Its a youthful / gay / jewish area of the city. It is very central and historic. Lots of restaurants and bars to choose from. It's fairly trendy as well. Market value is high in that area. The marais limits are a bit vague and not knowing where your apartment is, its hard to tell you precisely.

Not sure what you could say that is bad about the area. I suppose it depends on what you are looking for.