We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: Biking from Crécy-la-Chapelle to Coulommiers

Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: Biking from Crécy-la-Chapelle to Coulommiers

Crécy-la-Chapelle is a lovely little village known as The Venice of the Brie region due to the canals which meander through the village and owing to its position on the Morin river. It was a renowned haunt of 19th and 20th century artists who sought inspiration from its gorgeous country scenery and the atmospheric backdrop provided by its remnants of medieval times. It was my first stop on a beautiful bike ride through the rolling hills and pastoral landscapes of the Morin river valley, dotted with small hamlets, quaint mills, medieval churches and the occasional ruin. As a bookend to the journey my destination was the medieval town of Coulommiers, with its lovely old town, beautiful Parc des Capucins and its Commanderie of the Knights Templar, the best preserved Templar complex in the north of France. It was a magnificent day of exploration, as you will see.

http://tinyurl.com/dx8kr39

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Parc des Capucins
Parc des Capucins
142 Reviews
Coulommiers, France
France
France
Europe
MD
Level Contributor
772 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: Biking from Crécy-la-Chapelle to Coulommiers

What a lovely region. Any time they call a place "Little Venice" I want to check it out. I'm a sucker for old mills, lavoirs, and flowery bridges. I especially liked your photo of the tree-lined entryway to the park in Coulommiers.

Did those Knights Templar play tennis to get into shape for battle? That's what we were told they did at the Commanderie d'Arville.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
820 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: Biking from Crécy-la-Chapelle to Coulommiers

FM! The only thing better than reading your report is being on a ride with you! We have got to go on this ride in the spring! While reading, I could just imagine riding through the towns, along the river and in the countryside listening to you tell me the history and stories of the region. Thanks for this report. It's the closest I've come to a biking in France since our last ride together! :D

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: Biking from Crécy-la-Chapelle to Coulommiers

Looking out the window at the grey skies and rain over Paris this morning, the virtual bike trip through all of those lovely villages was much appreciated. The canals are beautiful. Like Cloverdale, I'm a sucker for old mills and bridges.

I had to laugh at the comment, "the last legitimate grandson". How French.

Thanks for sharing - as Jane said, it's the next best thing to joining you on one of your rides.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,291 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report: Biking from Crécy-la-Chapelle to Coulommiers

wonderful report -- beautiful area. we spent a day in Crecy this fall and loved every minutes of it -- stunning little town.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report: Biking from Crécy-la-Chapelle to Coulommiers

cloverdale - You got me to looking up the history of tennis. I found nothing about Templars playing tennis although it was apparently enjoyed by some monks, to the disapproval of their superiors. But I did learn about the evolution of the game, which I had always been curious about. Turns out modern tennis is nothing like the way it was played for centuries. I'll let you know if I ever find an answer other than your anecdotal tale.

Jane - I'll be ready for you in the spring.

sojoh - See my above comment to Jane.

Janet - I bet we were probably in Crécy just days apart from each other as I did this ride some time ago, either end of September or early October. And then I went to Auvers probably a few days after you did. Still have to write my report about Auvers. Thanks for riding along with me.

6. Re: Trip Report: Biking from Crécy-la-Chapelle to Coulommiers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2012, 10:19