We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Défense area

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
418 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
La Défense area

Hello!

My plan is to book an hotel to stay 4 nights in later April around La Défense area, near metro station "Esplanade de La Défense". How is the area in terms of security and environment?

Thank you!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Défense area

It is a huge business district (skyscraper area) outside Paris, but there are some people who actually like it. I would assume that your hotel is either the Ibis, the Novotel or the Sofitel.

Transportation to the center of Paris is very easy at least.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
418 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Défense area

Yes, Ibis. I am on a low budget and in comparison with other cheap neighbourhoods this seemed better in terms of transpotrt and safety.

Merci!

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: La Défense area

There is a certain tranquility at La Defense on a weekend. Quiet, uncrowded with the glass monoliths soaring up to the sky. And 20 minutes on Line 1 and you are completely "where it's all at".

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
418 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Défense area

You are being a great help...thanks!

But is La Défense a safe area? (for Paris standards, of course...)

Edited: 16 December 2011, 21:53
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,326 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Défense area

if you threw a dart at a map of Paris you would almost certainly land on a more charming area than la Defense. Unless you have business there that makes staying there convenient, almost anywhere else would be better. It is a big ugly business area, that is a wasteland in the evening. It's major claim to fame (besides the interesting arch which is no longer accessible to the public) is a big ugly mall.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Défense area

I know a very respected poster on the travel forums who returns to Paris every year and always spends several days at that Ibis because she truly loves the place -- and the area. She then moves on to another hotel inside the city, which she could have done in the first place.

Janet appears to have a clouded vision of what might interest other people since the "big ugly mall" is of huge interest to the residents of Paris and the suburbs -- and why not tourists?

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Défense area

I would not describe the area as "a big ugly business area" - not at all.

You can see for yourself as there are plenty of photos on the web and you can "walk around" using GoogleMaps street view.

Perhaps kerouac2 will post a link to his recent pictorial.

Obviously, if you're going to Paris for its "old world" charms, La Defense is quite different.

Personally, accommodations there would have to be outstanding with significant savings versus waking up in a Paris neighborhood.

If I were a woman traveling alone, I would be more comfortable being out and about after dark in Paris...only because I'm more nervous in vast areas devoid of many people after dark.

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: La Défense area

I am a man and have always found parts of La Defense scary in the evening..

hardly anyone around, vast empty spaces...not worth the savings

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La Défense area

Well, here is La Défense in photos:

By day:

anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…

By night:

anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,326 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: La Défense area

Kerouac -- really? you really think a perfectly ordinary mall is worth a trip to Paris? seriously?

I have spent time in most areas of Paris including a month in the 20th around the corner from a public housing project -- and I feel a lot safer in places that are crowded than in vast deserted streets like la Defense after hours.

I assume the OP can sort out the diversity of opinion and decide what is important to him or her. when visiting Paris, IMHO saving a few bucks (and there are cheap hotels on more charming fringes of Paris than la Defense) is not worth distance from the center plus general lack of charm. his mileage may vary.