We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go besides Paris in February?

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Where to go besides Paris in February?

I will be arriving in Paris on February 19th until February 26th. I am traveling with my boyfriend and we are in our early 30's. We have both been to Pairs on our own for a short visit. We both speak some French. I want to go somewhere else for a few days. I am thinking of renting an apartment in Paris for the first part of our trip and then taking a train or renting a car to go somewhere else to explore. My concern is that it's winter. Where would you suggest to go? I figure we could spend a few days elsewhere and then end our trip in Paris. How many days/nights in Paris vs. somewhere else?

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
481 reviews
from US$72.20*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,157 reviews
from US$108.30*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
570 reviews
from US$51.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$330.30*
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,941 posts
1,059 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go besides Paris in February?

London is about a 2.5 hour Eurostar train ride from Paris and is a great place to visit. Attached is a link to the Eurostar website.

eurostar.com/dynamic/_SvBoExpressBookingTerm…

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go besides Paris in February?

A guidebook will give you hundreds of choices withing 2-3 hrs by train from Paris. Strasbourg and Colmar, Lille and its region, the Loire Valley...Brittany or Normandy, the Dordogne region..and more

I am against doing London as a day trip UNLESS one has been there many times already...

I have done the "fly to Paris for 1 1/2 day- go to London for 1 day--fly back home" bit a couple of times, but then we are familiar with both towns.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go besides Paris in February?

Up to Normandy, Deauville, Trouville, Honfleur -- but the days are really short in February. Should spend at least a night up there to make it more than a rushed whirlwind excursion. Chartres - the cathedral and old town. Reims - wine, cathedral. Rouen - Jean d'Arc, "Monet's" cathedral, neat half-timbered old town on the river.

Please let us know what you do!

Edited: 19 December 2011, 10:12
Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go besides Paris in February?

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I think we want to stay in France-we'll save London for another trip :)

I have looked through guidebooks and it's so overwhelming. I think that Lyon sounds fantastic but also like a mini-Paris so we were thinking something a little less "city-like". I like the idea of the Loire Valley. I think touring the castles sound interesting and it seems that B & B's are popular in that area.

Is it best to rent a car from Paris or to take a train?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
980 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go besides Paris in February?

I agree that Lyon is really nice and interesting (and a great city for foodies !) but not too different from Paris (well... to make it short !), and I can understand that you'd like to see something special. Strasbourg and Colmar are quite different, and much smaller, and you should seriously consider going there for 1.5-2 days.

But the Loire Valley is also a very interesting alternative. I would advise to rent a car as it's not very convenient to go from one castle to the next in a short time without a private car; and there are also pretty little towns that you wouldn't see without the freedom of movement that a car would give. But you definitively would need a guide book of the area so as not to miss places to see.

6. Re: Where to go besides Paris in February?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2012, 10:20