We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

disability travel in europe

Sheffield...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
disability travel in europe

i use a scooter & would like to travel in europe where cobblestone streets & sidewalks are minimal. especially, i'd like to see prague, hungary, paris, & london.

i look forward to hearing from anyone who can help with my search.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,046 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: disability travel in europe

Cobblestones are not usual in either Paris or London. Most streets are bitumen and most pedestrian areas (whether sidewalk or a traffic-free zone) are smooth stone or concrete paving.

I don't know about Prague.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
980 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: disability travel in europe

You can find useful info about mobility in Paris here: …parisinfo.com/paris-map/… and here for museums and monuments: …parisinfo.com/museums-monuments-paris/…

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
2,779 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: disability travel in europe

Do you intend to bring your own scooter? I did a quick search, and found this brief discussion that might be of help:

"Wheelchairs, mobility scooters and walking frames are carried free of charge The 32kg maximum single item weight does not apply to mobility equipment. Restrictions apply to the transportation of battery-operated wheelchairs. Electric Wheelchairs can only be accepted on the basis that the battery is a dry or gel cell and the dimension of the wheelchair when collapsed will not be greater than the combined dimensions of more than 81cms (height), 119cms (width) and 119cms (depth). The passenger must show how the battery power is to be isolated and ensure that exposed terminals will be protected from short circuiting. The battery must also be securely attached to the wheelchair or mobility device.

Wheelchairs or mobility devices with spillable batteries cannot be carried. Segways cannot be carried."

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,427 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: disability travel in europe

Have a look also on the Travelling with Disabilities Forum.

London and Paris are fairly well set up with curb cuts etc, but the Metro system in Paris is not accessible except for one line. Most buses can take wheelchairs.

Hungary is a whole country so you might like to refine that to one or two cities.

Most European train systems for longer distance travel can accommodate wheelchairs if given some prior notice. We certainly saw that in stations in France.

On the web you will find quite a bit of information under headings such as "accessible Paris" eg.

…about.com/od/…Paris_accesible.htm

davidlebovitz.com/2008/02/accessible-trav/

www.sagetraveling.com/accessible-Paris-hotels

and similarly for other cities.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,144 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: disability travel in europe

www.slowtrav.com also has info on travelling with a wheelchair, which should be relevant to a scooter. The tube in London is not great for access, although some stations are step free. I believe the buses are all accessible though. I think the www.tfl.gov.uk site has a list somewhere of step free stations.

Shelton, Washington
Level Contributor
473 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: disability travel in europe

Paris is a good city for those of us on canes and walkers. All the new buses have curb height middle entrances and open space for your scooter. I found the Parisians very helpful and the museums solicituous of your needs.

Prague five years ago was a cobblestone nightmare with few curb cuts at the intersections. The touristy areas are cobblestoned heavily. Buses and trams did not accommodate scooters without lifting. Hope things have gotten better.

7. Re: disability travel in europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2012, 10:20