We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picasso

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Topic
Picasso

Planning a trip for this summer. We, of course, will be visiting the Louvre and Orsay. I am considering the Picasso Museum but wife and son are not that hot on Picasso. ( next to Rothko, one of my favorites) Will we see enough Picasso in the Orsay and Louvre to skip the Picasso museum or should I schedule the Picasso Museum and hope they will obtain a better appreciation?

Florida
Level Contributor
17,099 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Picasso

Your dilemma is already resolved b/c Musee Picasso is closed until 2013 for renovations...

http://www.musee-picasso.fr/

2. Re: Picasso

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 November 2015, 20:02
Edited: 18 November 2015, 20:02
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Picasso

Thanks to you both. The Pompidou it is... My son is an architecture enthusiast so we can kill two birds with one stone.

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Picasso

I thought the Picasso Museum was set to re-open next year? It's been closed during my last two trips. I was so disappointed.

However, I second the Pompidou - I absolutely loved it. And there is a great view of the city from the top floor, as well.

Out here somewhere
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Picasso

The museum website confirms that it is closed until spring 2013.

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,966 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Picasso

This is not specifically related to the Picasso Museum, but I would just suggest that when traveling with others, it is perfectly OK to split up for a given amount of time. If you want to go to a particular museum or site and the rest of the group is on a different page, then just split up and enjoy separate sites for the morning (afternoon or whatever). Decide on a loose time frame and a place to meet up later (for lunch, dinner, etc.)

My husband and I were in Paris last November with another couple who loved to shop. Nothing wrong with that--but we preferred to spend our short time in Paris (It's always too short!) just wandering and exploring day by day. I think both couples were a bit frustrated until we decided to split up, and we should have done it before the frustration set in.

I think you might all be happier together if you understand beforehand that you have the freedom to follow separate agendas at times. Sure, a family has to compromise and shared experience is what you're striving for, but for a couple of hours, let one person happily enjoy Picasso while the others pursue their priorities.

Have a great trip!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
516 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Picasso

The work on the Musee Picasso is only getting under way now as they took the last 18 months or so to plan how best to renovate the building (according to the notice outside).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,173 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Picasso

And half the exhibits are currently in Australia

www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/exhibitions/picasso I have to say that I was reasonably indifferent to his art until I saw the museum in Paris. I was blown away by the sheer depth and breadth of his art using so many media with such skill. And the highlight was seeing Guernica in Madrid. I cried.

Edited: 24 December 2011, 06:29
Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,102 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Picasso

Lynn - I had exactly the same experience (apart from the crying bit!) Had always 'quite' liked Picasso, but he was never a favourite until I went to the Paris Museum and was knocked out.. As you say, he seems to have excelled at every branch of art that he turned his hand to and his legacy will never be forgotten.

Like the other posters, I, too, and eagerly awaiting the re-opening of the Museum.

Have a great Xmas in Oz (if that is where you are at the moment)

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Picasso

You can also see Piccasso at the Musee d'Art moderne de la Ville de Paris at the Palais de Tokyo.

www.museums-of-paris.com/musee_en.php…

..and it is free!

........and they do nice tea and cakes overlooking a wonderful view of the Eiffel tower. LOL!

Denise

Love from England