We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it raining all day, every day in Paris?

New York
8 posts
Save Topic
Is it raining all day, every day in Paris?

I'm headed to paris in a little over 2 weeks and have been watching the weather reports. Rain, rain, rain. I saw that it averages 15 days of some type of rain in January and December but it seems like a whole lot more this year. I am dreading this trip. I was just there in August and had a wonderful time. I feel like I should bring an Ark instead of rain boots. Has anyone come back recently?

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
548 Reviews
from US$72.50*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
658 Reviews
from US$73.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,213 Reviews
from US$121.30*
Eiffel Tower and Louvre Museum...
821 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,921 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Is it raining all day, every day in Paris?

Sorry about Miami, somehow I picked up the wrong figure for precipitation.

I'm not sure why so many wish to deny that it rains in Paris. Perhaps it is true that many people in this forum don't want to hear anything negative about Paris. That seems a bit paranoid to me, though, since—even with its negative points—Paris is still one of the nicest cities in the world to visit or in which to live.

It doesn't rain exactly 12 hours a day. But if you have an outdoor activity planned for the day, and it rains for three hours intermittently, your activity may have to be cancelled. Thus, any precipitation during the day often equates logistically to too much.

The typical pattern in Paris is that either it doesn't rain at all, or it rains intermittently and unpredictably for hours at a time. In the latter case, you don't know when it might start to rain, so you cannot afford to plan anything that requires being continuously outside. Weather forecasts are never able to predict rain with sufficient accuracy to help. So if a day with any rain is predicted, you treat it as a day of continuous rain for planning purposes. And precipitation means any kind of water falling from the sky, not just a downpour.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,019 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Is it raining all day, every day in Paris?

"The typical pattern in - INSERT LOCATION OF CHOICE HERE - is that either it doesn't rain at all, or it rains intermittently and unpredictably for hours at a time. In the latter case, you don't know when it might start to rain, so you cannot afford to plan anything that requires being continuously outside. Weather forecasts are never able to predict rain with sufficient accuracy to help. So if a day with any rain is predicted, you treat it as a day of continuous rain for planning purposes. And precipitation means any kind of water falling from the sky, not just a downpour."

BTW - its bucketing rain here in Limerick and has been overnight. Sunbathing has been suspended.

Edited: 30 December 2011, 12:31
Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Is it raining all day, every day in Paris?

"I'm not sure why so many wish to deny that it rains in Paris. Perhaps it is true that many people in this forum don't want to hear anything negative about Paris. That seems a bit paranoid to me, though, since—even with its negative points—Paris is still one of the nicest cities in the world to visit or in which to live."

If this is the case, Euromaniac, it is probably because there is an element on the forum who seem to delight in highlighting any real or perceived negative aspects of the city.

Still, if it rains all the time, it may cut down the number of pickpockets, beggars, string-ring-and find the lady scammers, deaf and dumb petition wavers, fake handicappés and mutilés de guerre and all other undesirables who pollute the streets and squares of Paris. Just make sure that you don't get mugged for your umbrella.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
397 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Is it raining all day, every day in Paris?

They forecasted rain every day for our trip (12/13-20) and it only rained on two days and not all day. The last day actually was the rainy one starting around 3 p.m. - but I still walked (without an umbrella but I had a cap on my coat) along the Champs Elysees.

So just like some previous posters said - take a good umbrella or rain cape and I'll cross my fingers that it won't rain all the time, just like our trip (we even had a couple days of gorgeous blue sky and sun).

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,709 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Is it raining all day, every day in Paris?

Look rain is a fact of winter in most places in the north western hemisphere. Its either rain or snow ( where colder) .. but its not going to rain solid everyday all day,, day after day

Take an umbrella, waterproof foot wear, and a good coat.

Just so you know, forecast here is for rain for next two weeks, with occaisonal breaks,, oh well, thats winter.

And the hardest rain I have ever been in was in Paris,( the streets ran with water), in AUGUST,, it was a torrential downpour, complete with thunder and lightning, but the sun was out about an hour later,, weird, lol

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,384 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Is it raining all day, every day in Paris?

Euromanic, it's barely a week since you were tellng everyone that Paris

I s dangerously hot and they can't possibly cope without air conditioning. The problem is that you seem to feel the need to exaggerate every possible weather condition to a laughable extent.

I live in London, sometimes it rains, do I go out every day equipped with a storm suit and wellies? Of course not, occasionally my hair gets a bit wet, but I am not dead yet.

You just seem to give people who are already anxious more to worry about.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,273 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Is it raining all day, every day in Paris?

If you want to break that record, Joan, just head for Miami in August -- torrential downpours are the norm -- for about 90 minutes, most days.

There might be recorded precipitation on roughly 50% of days...but that should not be interpreted to mean that it actually rains, nor that it does so for any appreciable period of time.

Nobody's denying that it rains in Paris -- just that saying that it rains 50% of the time is misleading at best.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,384 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Is it raining all day, every day in Paris?

I was going to add that the worst rain I have ever seen was in Florida; it came out of the sky like a massage shower, almost hurting my skin.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Loire Valley
Level Contributor
7,017 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Is it raining all day, every day in Paris?

Just for the record, I have never used an umbrella in Paris, although I have friends who have done. If it rains I duck inside out of the wet for the 10 minutes it takes to pass over. A light showerproof jacket is enough - most of the time when it rains in Paris it is enough to fog your spectacles and make you feel slightly moist, but unlike say Sydney, Miami, Seoul or Singapore, (and a great many otehr cities) unless you are really unlucky when it rains it will be a bit of a nuisance rather than a good soaking.

I mean.... who goes to Paris to spend any great length of time outside and beyond reach of shelter of some sort anyway? It ain't the Himalayas

Edited: 30 December 2011, 15:45
Mentioned in this post
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,273 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Is it raining all day, every day in Paris?

yes, Wiz -- calling most Paris precipitation "rain" is giving it entirely too much credit. It's moist, and it's drifting downward -- but it's not rain.