We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arriving at cd airport

south wales
Level Contributor
125 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
arriving at cd airport

arriving at this airport at dinnertime sat17/03/2012 leaving 20/03/2012 what would be my best bet for transport and best value for our stay. we will be stayind at the mercure gard d lyon and is our first time in paris. wanting to see the sights and not knowing the best way to acheive this thanks for any sugg. on making this a good trip.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,987 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: arriving at cd airport

The Air France bus from CDG to Gare Montparnasse stops at Gare de Lyon, and would be your best transport from the airport. For travel around central Paris, buy a carnet of 10 ordinary t+ metro/bus tickets.

For the sights, buy one of the inexpensive little guide books on Paris, such as DK "Top Ten Paris" or Lonely Planet "Paris Encounter". This will help you decide which sights would be interesting to you.

south wales
Level Contributor
125 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: arriving at cd airport

thankyou for taking the time to reply do you know how much this bus costs and where you pick it up? also what are carnets?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,987 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: arriving at cd airport

The bus costs around €15. Follow the signs for Air France buses.

A carnet (pronounced "carnay") is a pack of 10 ordinary bus/metro tickets sold at a reduced price.

Do get a guide book on Paris: it would have told you all this.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,834 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: arriving at cd airport

The Cars Air France bus (line 4) fare costs 16.50€ or 27€ return, and tickets can be purchased from bus driver. More info and schedules in this link:

aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/en-GB/Passagers/Acce…

A 'carnet' would be 10 transit tickets -- the per ticket price is less when you buy ten tics.

transilien.com/web/…en

south wales
Level Contributor
125 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: arriving at cd airport

the reason I am asking this info is because my guide book says to board a train to chalet les halls then change to metro line for gare de lyon i do have a guide book with no mention as i can see about carnets.

south wales
Level Contributor
125 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: arriving at cd airport

no my guide book did not as far as i can see.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,070 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: arriving at cd airport

you need a better guide book -- certainly a guide to Paris should describe how to get in from the airport and how to get around

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: arriving at cd airport

Here is a little photo essay that explains how to navigate CDG airport. It is a couple of years old, and concentrates on how to take the RER train into the city, rather than the buses, but it will get you oriented. to the airport.

anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: arriving at cd airport

I stay near Gare de Lyon and always take the RER train (and yes, I change at Chatelet-Les-Halles). I would think that would be easier than taking a bus (and probably faster, if you factor in traffic and/or are traveling during a rush hour time).

However, you would not buy a carnet to take the train. You would purchase a Billet Ile de France.

Complete instructions are here:

parisbytrain.com/charles-de-gaulle-airport-c…

Paris, France
Level Contributor
979 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: arriving at cd airport

I like the Cars Air France; they are not buses but comfy coaches with aircon and a luggage boot (and the driver helps with the luggage). To go to Gare de Lyon, they are really convenient since it's a direct journey from CDG (line 4), without the trouble to take the RER and having to change line at Chatelet-Les-Halles; with luggage, this can make a big difference, particularly after a long flight. The fare is 16.5 euros (as opposed to 9.10 for the RER). It's an option to know and to take into account. See: www.lescarsairfrance.com/en/our-network.html